Moving fish.

Enfys

Visit site
OK, we are moving house, 3 - 4 hours up the road, I have a silly question ... I know that I could just look this up online, but I thought I would ask anyway :)

OH has decided that he wants to take the fish we have now, bog standard goldfishy types about 6-8" long.

So, how best to travel them? In a bag like they come from the shop or in a lidded container? Or .... ?

Bellasophia

Visit site
we moved our tropical fish many times...I've always used a large lidded dust bin .I always took as much of the original tank water with me..if your fish are room temp ..they should be fine for three to four hours. If you can set up a tank in advance ,half full with water the night before,then add fish and aged water when you get there you should be fine.iF not aerate the dustbin as soon as you arrive...you should be fine.

duckling

www.facebook.com
When we moved from Cardiff to Newcastle, we got a load of large bags and a polystyrene lined box free from Pets at Home - the guy in aquatics was so pleased that we were making provisions for the fish he even offered to help come and bag them up before we travelled in his own time :)
They all made the 6+ hour drive fine in the bags, and we took an extra large bottle of tank water to set up as soon as we got there. Good luck :)