Moving forwards into downward transitions

Scribbles

Visit site
Baby neddie is all ok physically, and he does the same in the field (less so mind) and on the lunge (same amount) and free schooling.

Being of the growing upwards in different places type horse, little ned is not exactly balanced. But being 4, he shouldn't be doing what he is...

In the trot-walk transition, rather than gradually changing down, his front legs simply stop moving, whilst his backlegs continue = falling over (or tripping, usually!). Encouraging the transition to be longer does help, but it can also make the tripping worse as he shuffles along.

So - help? He used to be similar in walk-halt, and I dealt with that by lengthening the transition, but obviously tripping in trot is much more dangerous than walk.

He is fairly lazy to tipping (read:dragging) on the forehand, and so have worked on this over winter with lunging and trot poles, which have elevated his paces no end.

When I started him off on the lunge he was pretty much exactly the same, so how can I take what he did on the lunge, and apply it to ridden work?

And anyone in the NE fancy schooling him for me
tongue.gif

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
To get my downward transitions better, i have to half halt , then half halt with my seat ( i cant really describe it besides this?) and then ..argh, im not very good at this haha, but almost tighten my upper thigh and he slows right down into a nice walk ..lol
You can tell im not very technical
tongue.gif
Someone else might be able to help you better than me
grin.gif