Moving my horse.

BOWS28

Visit site
So my mare is 20 and will be moving to a new yard in May. She will now have access to all year turnout and a newly built stable. (her current yard has no winter turnout at all and is stabled almost 23 hours a day...)
I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me settle her into her new forever home?
She has always had paired turnout since I've had her due to lack of field space. However I don't know what her turnout arrangements were in her previous homes...
The new yard is very small but has plenty of fields so turnout is not limited... she will be next to other horses in other fields, but ideally we want to keep them all separate, due to her being one of the only mares. There is a Shetland that will be primarily her companion in neighbouring field. Is there anything I can do to keep her calm in the field by herself?
I'm hoping that a new yard will be what she needs to become more independent, but she has been known to be abit needy, but only ever in the field!!
Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you all soon :)

Auslander

Visit site
So my mare is 20 and will be moving to a new yard in May. She will now have access to all year turnout and a newly built stable. (her current yard has no winter turnout at all and is stabled almost 23 hours a day...)
I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me settle her into her new forever home?
She has always had paired turnout since I've had her due to lack of field space. However I don't know what her turnout arrangements were in her previous homes...
The new yard is very small but has plenty of fields so turnout is not limited... she will be next to other horses in other fields, but ideally we want to keep them all separate, due to her being one of the only mares. There is a Shetland that will be primarily her companion in neighbouring field. Is there anything I can do to keep her calm in the field by herself?
I'm hoping that a new yard will be what she needs to become more independent, but she has been known to be abit needy, but only ever in the field!!
Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you all soon :)

I don't think this is an ideal scenario for an older horse, who is already known to be a bit needy. Horses aren't designed to be independent, although some deal with it better than others. She is pretty unlikely to be happy with a solo existence if she's one who needs friends around her, and a pony next door won't really cut it. I suspect you will have trouble settling her if she's to live alone - especially at her age

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I do hope that by the time you move you are able to let her have at least one buddy IN her field, most horses like company with them, to scratch with, to interact with, to watch over whilst they rest etc, etc.
You might find that she was/is 'needy' as she is only out with one other when she gets turned out at present if her 'friend' is taken away. You might possibly find she might settle better in a group of 3 or more and be even worse if kept on her own!

Good luck, but do try to re-think keeping her on her own, in her own paddock

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have to agree with above I think horses are happier with a field companion and it's not the fact that she is being needy she is just being a horse they are herd animals so they are designed to live together.

BOWS28

Visit site
I do hope that by the time you move you are able to let her have at least one buddy IN her field, most horses like company with them, to scratch with, to interact with, to watch over whilst they rest etc, etc.
You might find that she was/is 'needy' as she is only out with one other when she gets turned out at present if her 'friend' is taken away. You might possibly find she might settle better in a group of 3 or more and be even worse if kept on her own!

Good luck, but do try to re-think keeping her on her own, in her own paddock

Do you not think she will cope? Maybe she'd be better if he was in the field with her? I'm pretty desperate as she is so miserable at the current yard!! Neither of us can carry on how we are unfortunately, so moving is the only option! There is 3 other horses that are in a herd but they live out all year round, which unfortunately is not an option for her either! I'm tearing my hair out here... Thank you for your reply :)

BOWS28

Visit site
I have to agree with above I think horses are happier with a field companion and it's not the fact that she is being needy she is just being a horse they are herd animals so they are designed to live together.

Do you think she would be better with the Shetland in with her as a buddy? He doesn't work so can be her pair and wont have to come in and leave her at any point!

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Do you not think she will cope? Maybe she'd be better if he was in the field with her? I'm pretty desperate as she is so miserable at the current yard!! Neither of us can carry on how we are unfortunately, so moving is the only option! There is 3 other horses that are in a herd but they live out all year round, which unfortunately is not an option for her either! I'm tearing my hair out here... Thank you for your reply :)

She might 'cope' but is likely to be more stressed and possibly miserable. Of course the 1st few days she'll prob be required to be on her own for health reasons, but she really will want something in with her.
You are asking a horse that gets - as you put it 'needy' - into a new situation and on her own - this alone could be asking for something like ulcers to raise their head when she stresses.
For the sake of your horses sanity, she does need field mates :)
Why can't she join the gang of 3 when out?

BOWS28

Visit site
I suppose I could always ask for her to join the gang of three... I just worry that she wouldn't be accepted. They have been out together for years and years and I don't know if the other mare would accept her. She quite likes being in charge of her boyfriends.
Maybe its me being abit of a wimp, as I suppose she's big enough to hold her own... just a little scary when its 3 against 1!!
If only horses were simple hey??

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I suppose I could always ask for her to join the gang of three... I just worry that she wouldn't be accepted. They have been out together for years and years and I don't know if the other mare would accept her. She quite likes being in charge of her boyfriends.
Maybe its me being abit of a wimp, as I suppose she's big enough to hold her own... just a little scary when its 3 against 1!!
If only horses were simple hey??

Speak to new YO, find out if she can be paddocked next to them so they get to know each other over the fence, once you can observe over a bit of time you'll get a fair idea as to how they might respond. If the shettie is in a paddock the other side , then that would be good - she can get to know all animals without going in with them to start with, but she'll need the company with her soon after :)

BOWS28

Visit site
I really really appreciate all your help! Thank you so much!!
I'll speak to the YO and the owner of the 3 in the herd tomorrow. Fingers crossed for my big ginger baby girl!! :)

Equi

Visit site
A herd of a few is always preferable to me. Two together tend to get too clingy and one alone tends to be quite stressed and depressed.

SusieT

Visit site
So long as the pony is only over the fence she probably will settle, it would be ideal if she could be directly in with him but this sounds better than your current situation.mine are happiest in together but also happy split by a fence.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would never want to keep a horse on its own, no matter how many horses are nearby, except for the introductory period, when for everyone's sake there should be a gradual introduction. I have seen horses be absolutely miserable and either very stressed or completely shut down when kept on individual turnout.

And depending on the size of your horse, OP, a Shetland might not be the ideal companion either, horses are best with similar sized companions, who have similar needs.

BOWS28

Visit site
So long as the pony is only over the fence she probably will settle, it would be ideal if she could be directly in with him but this sounds better than your current situation.mine are happiest in together but also happy split by a fence.

I agree!! I am so sick of my current situation, and so is my horse... If the facilities were good maybe it would be more bearable, but no winter turnout at all and they are only just going out!! She needs to be out for the benefit of her arthritic hocks and her sanity!! I think she'll be okay. I was thinking of alternatives; I may fence a walk way from her stable to her field (just nextdoor) and leave her door open for the first couple of days to let her mooch in and out when she pleases... Being a typical girl, i think she'll be much happier if going out in the field is 'Her Idea' haha. What do you think? x

YogaNurse

Visit site
I agree with everything that’s been said above! I have learnt from experience unfortunately. I moved my 20 yo TB to a lovely yard with individual turnout and he hated it, he was so miserable and depressed! Luckily I had the option to change fields as someone left the yard. A herd of 4 is a nice size as if someone brings in theirs to ride she won’t be left on her own. I would start her off on her own next to the field of three and gradually introduce her to the herd. Is there any reason she can’t live out? Could rug her right up and let her live out with the others and that would benefit her mobility too. Good luck! :)