Moving Permanent Residence from EU to UK - moving horses by yourself

Visit site
Hi all.

I am British and I have three horses currently in the Netherlands. I plan to move them in 2025 as part of my Transfer of Residence from NL to UK. I have researched horse transport companies and considering my horses, I feel more comfortable with transporting them myself along with the support of two friends.

I plan to go from the Amsterdam area and cross via the Hook of Holland to Essex. I could go via the tunnel but I have heard long queues etc which I don't think is good for the horses.

I am looking for connecting with anyone who has done a similar move themselves or knows anyone who has. If you could share any insight that would be helpful. How to start going around getting health certificates etc would be great.

I am really a bit at a loss and it feels quite overwhelming! Not taking them is not an option, they are my everything.

Thanks

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Contact Defra in uk for information about paperwork..but honestly there are excellent international transport companies which folk on here have used and they can assist you with everything. Maybe research on here past threads about international transporters for recommendations.

meleeka

Visit site
A friend has just had her horses moved from the UK to the EU. It was well worth the cost to get a company to move them. The horses arrived a few hours after she did and from the footage I saw, they certainly had a more relaxing trip than she did and arrived looking calm and happy. One of them was a particular worry as he can be a bit dramatic, but she had plenty of updates showing him relaxed. The company she used are well used to the paperwork and customs checks so it was straightforward for them. They also have plenty of back up should it not go to plan. The driver was really lovely with them too.

Sorry, not what you asked at all!

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
I'm another who would use my own transport but for chattels - furniture etc.
If there is any big delay with traffic or ferries the international transporters have good access to lairage to rest the horses etc.

I used to do international transport, tho the Netherlands isnt far, it's still a load of paperwork (get 1 thing incorrect and you'll be pulled away) and irritation if weather blows up and ferries get cancelled, which means pre booking horse lairage near port just in case.

If you really do want to do this yourself then ensure paperwork is spot on and research rest over places in case of any waiting time.
If summer, have you got essential cooling in your transport? Any wait at all can cause issues.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Hi, again not what you asked but I used a transporter to get my mare from France to the UK and back a few months later. I was stressful enough as it was but the transporters know what paper work is necessary, have regular places where they can stop and overnight the horses if necessary. They have pretty state of the art transport and are used to handling all kinds of horses. In my case, they used to do regular trips from Portugal to the UK with a lot of little-handled two year olds. I had the driver and co-driver's mobile numbers so that I could contact them for updates. They are also used to dealing with stressed owners and make it easier for you!

dorsetladette

Visit site
My friend moved to south of france a few years ago. She used John Parker transport. As others have said they have access to stabling around the ferry ports etc which makes decision making easier than if you were to do the trip yourself. They also handle all the paperwork so all you need to do really is make sure all the jabs are up to date and hand over the passport. The transport lorries are air conditioned and generally have a groom onboard - these guys do this for a living so they know what they are doing.

I'd recommend using the professionals as it takes the stress (some) out of it.