Moving stables on wooden skids

Groom Mum

Visit site
Has anyone ever moved stables on skids ? I need to move mine to surface the ground underneath. But I feel it will loosen or dislodge if it's dragged across the field. I'm only moving it about 20 metres while we do a surface then drag it back again. Just wondered if anyone had done this successfully. I want to also concrete about a 5 metre strip along the front of stables would I need planning for this? I guess I should call the council.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Mobile stables are designed to be mobile, so you should be able to get them moved ok once it's dried up a bit. It could be tricky, though, if they have sunk down into the ground during this wet winter.

You will need PP to put any sort of surface or concrete down, as this changes them from a mobile structure to a permanent one. Some councils are much more amenable than others to equestrian facilities, I hope that yours is one of the easier ones to deal with.

Dry Rot

Visit site
You'll probably find you can lever up one end, then slip a board under. Do that front and back so it has something smooth to slide on. Then leap frog the boards if you understand me. Even better would be to lay your boards, then another on top with something like round fence posts sandwiched between the two boards so you have the stable on rollers. The ancients moved megastructures like that! It is amazing what you can do with a few levers and rollers. There are Youtube videos of people moving houses using these techniques.

As for the concrete, lay it on a Friday afternoon, then camouflage paint (or a layer of straw/muck) before Monday 9am, and you should be safe!:D

Last edited:

Groom Mum

Visit site
Thanks I think we have now decided to dismantle and rebuild as I have decided I want them right the other side of the field on an existing concrete base that I don't need PP for yay !!!!

Groom Mum

Visit site
When i asked the guys who built the stable i got the reply " the mobile skids are for planning purposes not really moving purposes" !! Odd seeing as they advertise these stables as move able. Anyway Im dismantling the whole lot and moving them bit by bit and rebuilding them the other (drier) end of my field. I made the mistake of not putting them there in the first place. But im learning as I go along !