Moving the poooony..... Advice please.

libertylou

Visit site
Hi all,

Advice needed. I have just found a new yard to move my girl to in a couple of weeks. So excited and really can't wait to move!!!! Now I just need to sort transport. Although..... I was wondering if it would be possible to walk her over in hand. The new yard is 6 miles away, from Broadsands, Paignton to Cockington, Torquay. She is an angel and bomb proof so traffic etc doesn't worry me but is it to far? Would any of you do it??? :confused:

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Is she ridden at all? How fit is she? What age is she?
Depending on the horse - I would. If you consider her to be more than capable, then yes - 6 miles is not that far, really. And it's only walking!!

Umbongo

Visit site
Depending on the horse - I would. If you consider her to be more than capable, then yes - 6 miles is not that far, really. And it's only walking!!

Yup ^^ If you and the horse are capable, I would ride it...I have hacked that far to go to shows, fun rides, hunts etc before and it's not that far :)

libertylou

Visit site

Yes she is ridden, she's 8 years old, fairly fit although hasn't much ridden work in recent months (due to weather and lack of places to hack where we are at the moment), lots of lunging and ground work. She is healthy and would say she is capable :) Thanks- just needed someone to say it was ok lol!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Hmmmmm. I think it would depend on whether you have to go through any town centres or major roads. Bombproof is one thing but town centre stuff can be very different, so can trunk roads. If it's country lanes then I certainly would. Can you get someone to follow behind you in a car with hazard lights on?

fidleyspromise

Visit site
lol, then I say definitely go for it. i'm doing a 7.5mile hack to a show in march.

I would however, get in touch with the new yard and let them know when your leaving and roughly when you expect to arrive, just so that someone knows :)

6 miles in walk will be nothing to her if you consider how far she'll walk when grazing, and I would ride rather than lead. - You can always get off for intervals.

libertylou

Visit site
Hmmmmm. I think it would depend on whether you have to go through any town centres or major roads. Bombproof is one thing but town centre stuff can be very different, so can trunk roads. If it's country lanes then I certainly would. Can you get someone to follow behind you in a car with hazard lights on?

Yup thats the thing that concerns me. Which is why I was thinking in hand?? :confused: She is very very good but it is busy town roads (do you know Paignton/Torquay?). Can ask OH to follow in the car....

lol, then I say definitely go for it. i'm doing a 7.5mile hack to a show in march.

I would however, get in touch with the new yard and let them know when your leaving and roughly when you expect to arrive, just so that someone knows :)

6 miles in walk will be nothing to her if you consider how far she'll walk when grazing, and I would ride rather than lead. - You can always get off for intervals.

Definately think I will, but as box_of_frogs says town stuff is totally different to country lanes!! :confused:

fidleyspromise

Visit site
it really depends on you and your pony.
I don't know that area at all.
I have to admit I didn't think of the whole town situation etc, as when I moved my pony, the only place to hack was through town so i simply got on with it with my 5 yr old.
I take her up the high street etc, where I live now which is on an A road so she can continue to see the sights etc. She's never batted an eye lid at anything.
My friend has a spooky 13 yr old Welsh D and again, I took him through town which is something she wouldn't do and he was good as gold.

Go with your gut instinct. Only you know your horse and how she's likely to react. Have a contingency plan, can you have emergency horse transport in case you run in to trouble?
good luck on what you decide x