Moving to cyprus

Kacie7

New User
Visit site
Moving to Cyprus in 7 weeks and have had to sell my horses I've had for 9 years as I can't take them with me :( absolutely heartbroken, I've had horses for the last 16 years and can't imagine life without them... Does anyone know of riding schools/ loan horses near protaras area in Cyprus?

TrasaM

Visit site
Hi Kacie. My OH started work here in November and I'm out here at the moment looking for a house. I've been going to the Dhekelia riding school and there's quite a few horses there and you can hack out from there too. I'm not too familiar with the area yet but we drove through that area (Protaras) last weekend and it's quite nice. It'd be nice to have a horsey friend here so PM me when you arrive. I'm not here all the time as yet but will be once we get things sorted in the uk

Kacie7

New User
Visit site
Hi there, that would be brill... Will let you know when I'm there... If you need help with property we know a few people over there, are you looking for apartments? And what area :)

TrasaM

Visit site
Hi there, that would be brill... Will let you know when I'm there... If you need help with property we know a few people over there, are you looking for apartments? And what area :)

I looked at a house I really liked today..at last! They kept showing us houses that are on compounds are were suitable for holiday lets. But living there during the peak holiday season..no no no!
One of the houses I was shown today I was told was popular with Russians ..really not a selling point for me even though she emphasised that these were Rich Russians! lol. Got to get OH to view it before officially saying yes. It's on the Dhekelia Rd just outside of Larnaca.
What a shame you've had to sell your horses. I'm going to look into getting a loan I think . Most of the horses I've seen are off the track TBs and have been. Worked hard I suspect.

horcrrux

Visit site
Hey! :) I live in Paralimni in Cyprus, about 5 minutes away from Protaras and unfortunately the nearest proper yard is about 30 minutes drive away in Dhekelia. Know of a few people that have their own horses at home nearer but not much facilities. There's also a little yard called Stable Dania which is actually a bit closer than Dhekelia I think- in Vrysoulles. It has a few ponies and OTTB's, a small arena and probably some nice hacking. There are more yards near larnaca area but that's just getting further away :p The best yard on the island is Lapatsa in Nicosia, has a lovely huge arena with good surface, a racetrack, horse walker, lovely stables and tidy yard and a nice little coffee shop but it's about an hours drive away :(

Unfortunately there's not much choice of horses out here- mostly TB's off the track unless you want to pay a lot for something imported! The TB's can turn out great though :) Lots of ours will happily plod around on a hack with no problems whatsoever :)

I can give you lots of facebook group links if you want of all the yards I know of :p

horcrrux

Visit site
I looked at a house I really liked today..at last! They kept showing us houses that are on compounds are were suitable for holiday lets. But living there during the peak holiday season..no no no!
One of the houses I was shown today I was told was popular with Russians ..really not a selling point for me even though she emphasised that these were Rich Russians! lol. Got to get OH to view it before officially saying yes. It's on the Dhekelia Rd just outside of Larnaca.
What a shame you've had to sell your horses. I'm going to look into getting a loan I think . Most of the horses I've seen are off the track TBs and have been. Worked hard I suspect.

have you had a look in oroklini area? there's some nice houses just outside or in the actual village. Are you set on buying a house or would you consider renting? (Just would advise against buying because the things are a worse pain to sell here than in the UK! :p)

TrasaM

Visit site
have you had a look in oroklini area? there's some nice houses just outside or in the actual village. Are you set on buying a house or would you consider renting? (Just would advise against buying because the things are a worse pain to sell here than in the UK! :p)

Hiya.. No we are renting .. The house we agreed on last week..well..turned out that the man who was in situ and claimed to own it, didn't . I though something didn't feel right and the agents found out when they requested the title deeds. O.h is looking at a couple of places this weekend. The ones I've viewed have all been on the Dhekelia road in Oroklini but all near the sea. I think he needs to look a bit further from the beach too. There was one other lovely place but the rent was more than the Company allowance. It's quite shocking seeing how many unfinished houses there are. What were they thinking!

horcrrux

Visit site
Hiya.. No we are renting .. The house we agreed on last week..well..turned out that the man who was in situ and claimed to own it, didn't . I though something didn't feel right and the agents found out when they requested the title deeds. O.h is looking at a couple of places this weekend. The ones I've viewed have all been on the Dhekelia road in Oroklini but all near the sea. I think he needs to look a bit further from the beach too. There was one other lovely place but the rent was more than the Company allowance. It's quite shocking seeing how many unfinished houses there are. What were they thinking!

Oh that's good then! :D
Oops! I've been living here so long it doesn't surprise me.
Yeah there is a ridiculous amount of unfinished or empty houses around. Might be a bit cheaper further from the beach -but it's never too far away anyway :) We make regular trips to the beach with the yard people at lunch times in the summer as it's too hot to do anything else! :p

TrasaM

Visit site
Oh that's good then! :D
Oops! I've been living here so long it doesn't surprise me.
Yeah there is a ridiculous amount of unfinished or empty houses around. Might be a bit cheaper further from the beach -but it's never too far away anyway :) We make regular trips to the beach with the yard people at lunch times in the summer as it's too hot to do anything else! :p

I've told OH this but he seems stuck on 'beside the sea' and 'near shop and tavern' lol. He's got no idea what it'll be like once the holiday season starts I think.
Thank you for your advice. It's been interesting getting to know Cyprus. I'd really like to find somewhere to ride with better facilities and hacking but as you've already said it's all a bit further away.
Eating out has been very disappointing so far but I suspect there must be some decent restaurants hidden away somewhere where Meze or moussaka is not the only choice :D

horcrrux

Visit site
I've told OH this but he seems stuck on 'beside the sea' and 'near shop and tavern' lol. He's got no idea what it'll be like once the holiday season starts I think.
Thank you for your advice. It's been interesting getting to know Cyprus. I'd really like to find somewhere to ride with better facilities and hacking but as you've already said it's all a bit further away.
Eating out has been very disappointing so far but I suspect there must be some decent restaurants hidden away somewhere where Meze or moussaka is not the only choice :D

Haha it gets very busy around there on summer weekends as people who live in Nicosia tend to come down to rent apartments/houses and pile up on the beaches so we tend to steer clear around that time :p Know of an absolutely lovely quiet place in protaras though, been going with my friend who used to live near there since primary school. Lots of starfish there just before it starts to get dark -and the occasional sea turtle.

Yeah the best restaurants are always hidden!

It's a shame there's not much more to do with horses out here. There's meant to be a nice place somewhere in Larnaca with an indoor, outdoor and supposedly even an equine swimming pool but really can't think of the name. Will try and find out for you. Would have had a look for myself if I didn't live so far.

Kacie7

New User
Visit site
Only 6 weeks to go now, will be living in kapparis, so not too far from you ... Rescued tb's and just had to sell my mare as prices are extortionate to get over, so had to make the hardest decision to sell my babies I've had for 8 years.
Yes I agree with not buying over there, as my mum made that mistake and can't sell :(

Lisiza

Visit site
It's a shame there's not much more to do with horses out here. There's meant to be a nice place somewhere in Larnaca with an indoor, outdoor and supposedly even an equine swimming pool but really can't think of the name. Will try and find out for you. Would have had a look for myself if I didn't live so far.[/QUOTE]

This nice place is in Dromolaxia, Larnaca area, on he way to the airport and is called Pleasure Riding. They have a good facilities and give riding lessons in English and Russian.
another place near the airport is Salt Lake, i didn't hear anything positive about them.
There are couple of places in Limassol, Pafos and La Patsa in Nicosia.

In Dekelia Saddle Club the facilities are dated, but horses are kept healthy and there are plenty of fields around for hacking.

TrasaM

Visit site
Lisiza.. Thank you. I'm going to look that up. Good to know there's somewhere else I can try without driving to the other end of the island .:)

TrasaM

Visit site
Ok..mixed feelings. Nice horse but not keen on me riding him. RI says he's not used to different people and sometimes plays up. So ok to walk but when asked to trot ears back and humping back. Got him going forward after lunge line produced and was then ok until asked for canter when I got some lovely bucks. School has a nice set up and outside school is a good size. Owner seems kind and horses are in good condition. May try again next week and see if he's any more accepting of me.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Moving to Cyprus in 7 weeks and have had to sell my horses I've had for 9 years as I can't take them with me :( absolutely heartbroken, I've had horses for the last 16 years and can't imagine life without them... Does anyone know of riding schools/ loan horses near protaras area in Cyprus?

I love Cyprus, its a shame you cannot take them, one of the members here did the opposite journey brought their cats - dogs and horse from Cyprus to the UK

we go to cyprus every year

two stories

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?622734-Rico-s-Big-Adventure&highlight=cyprus

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...ay1-disaster-(Pics)!!&highlight=moving+cyprus

its a shame but expensive to do