Moving to France - Any tips or advice

Salcey

Visit site
We have a close friend thinking seriously of relocating her family and two horses to France. I suggested a post on here might prove helpful as shes worried how the horses will cope and what the best method of transporting them will be. I think the region shes looking at is the Jura region. The horses are aged 10 and 7.

Any tips or advice most welcome

Sooty

Visit site
No tips, my only advice is go for it! It's not far in the great scheme of things, there are plenty of horse transporters who tackle international journeys. Wish I had the courage to do the same...

fizzer

Visit site
a friend of mine went 2 years ago. she regulary comes back for tack and stable equipment as finds it hard to get stuff out there so stock up on hay nets etc. she went down towards the south so find she had to ride very early b4 the heat. she loves it there now as she would never have afforded her own land and house together in the uk

Rambo

Visit site
Isn't TrecPeter in that part of the world
crazy.gif

I'm sure the horses will cope fine though....let's face it enough of them are imported into this country in the first place, i'm sure a journey back to the continent won't hurt them
smile.gif

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
HI - Yes, I am from arond here - GREAT RIDING COUTRY - if you like long rides outside or Trecking. There's also plenty of covered menege and clubs.

The Jura are a nearly 400km long range of mountainous hills starting in the dept of AIN in France, and ending somewhere near Zurich.

Shouldn't be any problem to transport the horses - you might need to give them a stopover rest half way for their and your confort - they generally travel very well on the motorways being free from sudden gradients and bends. I've taken my horse from the middle of Ain right up to near Basel in one go without any problems last year.

Which area of the Jura were you thinking about?
And - can you speak french ? - Some parts of the Jura are quite rural (& beautiful ! )

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
[ QUOTE ]
a friend of mine went 2 years ago. she regulary comes back for tack and stable equipment as finds it hard to get stuff out there so stock up on hay nets etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Felix Buhler in Geneva stock all sorts of equestrian equipment.
Excellent mail order as well
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A friend of mine relocated to France a few years ago, taking their two elderly horses with them Thy had a quality horse transportation company take them. The company did all the paperwork & arranged stopping places for feeding & watering etc. They travelled very well.

Only thing is, is that whenever anyone goes over to visit they phone first & take an order for various feed suppliments etc which are difficult to get hold of over there.
smile.gif

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
The climate is continental of course, so a bit colder in winter, and a bit warmer in summer. Horses are tough creatures though and will adapt to living in all sorts of conditions. Ours live out 24/7 right through the winter. I think they find the heat of summer more objectionable then a cold frosty day, providing there's hay on permanent supply
smile.gif

Here's my OH's Welsh D in a scattering of snow.

HS1_winter05.jpg

and some of the other horses on another snowy day.¨
Ianto looks as he's been rolling in the snow !!

Ianto2_win05.jpg

cheers !
TrecPeter