Moving to France

TheBean

New User
Visit site
We are looking to re-locate to the Poitou-Charentes region of SW France. Does anyone have any experience of competing in this area - or anywhere in France? Is it comparable to UK? Any info would be great about competing, training, management, vets etc - or if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.
PS. So far all I have been told is that dressage means you can't jump and the flies and tics are awful... not put off yet though

Wishful

Visit site
Inland or near the coast - lovely area. Nice wine too, and convenient for Cognac...

It will probably be very hot in summer, and you will potentially need to feed hay most of the year as the grass struggles to grow well in the heat of summer. Flies are fairly annoying, and watch out for bots and ticks. Ticks aren't fun, if you ignore one for too long, you get long courses of IV injections 3 times/day (poor Dad!).

Sport in France is much more "organised" than in the UK, at least at lower levels, so you will probably need a doctor's certificate to compete in anything. No experience riding in France though - just going on my experience of other sports.

www.ffe.com looks like a good place to start

JCWHITE

Visit site
Lots going on down here, suggest you look at Equine On Line,France, a really friendly bunch.IMHO, its better competing here for many reasons. Its true, you will need a Doctors certificate each year, just a formality really, but then you apparently need one to play boule as well! Please feel free to pm me,but am away at the weekend, jumping at the International just up the road!!! Good luck in your decision.

Hemirjtm

Visit site
Hi, I live in Poitou Charentes! You need to pass some exams called Galops before you can start competing (unless theres some loop hole that i haven't heard about for English living over here!).

The shows are much more organised, and imho 'better' (can't think of exactly what i wnat to say!) than in England (have been to quite a few - but not competed yet
frown.gif
tongue.gif
)

please feel free to PM me! Have lived here for 4years and wouldn't consider going back to the UK unless I had to!

good luck in your decision
laugh.gif

PS: tics can be quite nasty...but i seem to have perfected the trick of pulling them out
laugh.gif
had to get one out of my horses mane last night that was the size of my thumbnail - not nice!! But theres this great thing you can buy over here *lauren hits herself as she can't remember what it is called* Another trick for bot flies is getting it between to curry combes - really works
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

would you be buying a house with land and keeping your horse at home, ot keeping it at a livery yard? I have only used one vet over here...and he has been great with all our animals....we have one mare who used to be scared of vets - bad experience, and after seeing him a few times she's fine! And our farrier is really good...and very caring (but can't say that about every farrier I have met over here!!
blush.gif
)

Ok i'll stop wittering...if you have any questions just ask! Oh and what part of P-C are you looking at? (sorry to be nosey!)

oliviacharley

Visit site
My mum lives in this area too!! Ive seen lots of horses around and there seems to be quite a good interest in competing out there from the size of the practice jumps ive seen...
beautiful place and really relaxing...

digger2

Visit site
Hi, we are also thinking about a move to france - totalfrance.com has a really good forum, with a horsey section lots of info on that.

(were are off to Ariege in the Midi Pyrenees region for our first serious look around in 3 weeks time cant wait)

DAHH

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I live in Poitou Charentes! You need to pass some exams called Galops before you can start competing (unless theres some loop hole that i haven't heard about for English living over here!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is a loophole! If you are affliated in Britain the govening body, be it BSJA, BD etc, can send a letter showing what you have done. If this shows you have competed to a high enough level you will be exempt from the Galop exams.
Alternatively, if you are over 21 (or 18, I can't remember) you can by-pass all the lower level exams a do only galop 7 which is the one you need for official competition.

Hemirjtm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is a loophole! If you are affliated in Britain the govening body, be it BSJA, BD etc, can send a letter showing what you have done. If this shows you have competed to a high enough level you will be exempt from the Galop exams.
Alternatively, if you are over 21 (or 18, I can't remember) you can by-pass all the lower level exams a do only galop 7 which is the one you need for official competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh! I never competed in England...poor me!! LOL!! But I have found a woman who will let me skip a few of the lower level exams, so that i can pass galop 7 quicker
laugh.gif
Although I'm only 16!
laugh.gif