Moving to New House With Cat

Juniper Jack

Visit site
I am asking this for a friend.

His family is about to move from their old house to a new one about an hour away. The move will involve the moving company packing up things at the old house on Saturday and unpacking at the new house on Sunday. My friend and his family plan to spend Saturday night at his brother's family's house (brother and his family will be away but will leave their dog and two cats).

We are trying to figure which, if any, of the following plans will work best for my friend's cat.

1) Lock Kitty, with food, water, and litter box, in the bathroom off his bedroom at the old house, let no one go in there; then, when everyone else is out of the house, go in, get Kitty, put her in her crate, move her to his brother's house, shut her up there in a bathroom and allow no one in but him; repeat the whole process on Sunday to the new house and shut her in his bathroom there 'til the moving men have gone and the family are settled in.

2) Lock Kitty, with food, water, and litter box, in the bathroom off his bedroom, as in Plan 1; then, when the moving men and the other family members have gone, he could camp out Saturday night alone in the house with Kitty in the bathroom, keeping her company, and then, on Sunday, after the movers have finished at the new house and the rest of the family are settled in, he would load her and drive her directly to the new house.

3) Before the movers ever arrive at the old house to pack up, he could bring Kitty to my place, where we could shut her away from my 2 cats, with her own food and water and litter box; then he could go help his family with the move and come back for Kitty the next day when he is rested (and she is probably a nervous wreck!).

4) Same as #3, except he would come to my place and stay with Kitty, my cats, and me until his family are all settled in the new house, which would mean he could be with Kitty and comfort her; or he could stay at my place with her and my 2 kitties and I could go help his family with the move.

He says he will work something out but he is very stressed out about this. The above 4 have been my recommendations to him, based on my own history of moving with cats and things I have read.

Do any of you have any additional suggestions? Do any of the above plans sound good?

Please respond! Thanks. :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My personal view

I am a volunteer Cats Protection.

This is what We did when we moved and recommend to all potential adopters.

Non of the above, someone will always accidentally open door where kitty is.

Best find a cattery near to your new home and put her in there 2-3 days before you leave.

This way.

• She wont get upset by the boxes
  • not likely to go AWOL
  • wont get under your feet.
  • not likely to be let out

Then 2- 3 days after the move when furniture she is familiar with with is in place bring her to her new home, only keep her in one room for a day or so then let her roam the house. Do not let her out for 3 weeks after this. She will then feel happy in new home and it will be familiar to her.

Last edited:

Jools2345

Visit site
My personal view

Non of the above, someone will always accidently open door where kitty is.

Best find a cattery near to your new home and put her in there 2-3 days before you leave.

This way.

• not likely to go AWOL

Then 2- 3 days after the move when furniture she is familiar with with is in place bring her to her new home, only keep her in one room for a day or so then let her roam the house. Do not let her out for 3 weeks after this. She will then feel happy in new home and it will be familiar to her.

THIS

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have usually packed cat in box into car on moving morning (have moved a number of times) & then on arrival left in bathroom in box till removal men gone & then out of box but in same room, whilst unpacking.

However your friend has an overnighter planned, so I would agree with Leviathan in this case - cat B&B for at least 1 if not 2 or 3 nights over the long weekend :)

Suelin

Visit site
My personal view

I am a volunteer Cats Protection.

This is what We did when we moved and recommend to all potential adopters.

Non of the above, someone will always accidentally open door where kitty is.

This way.

• not likely to go AWOL

This is absolutely the correct way to go about it.