Moving to Scotland with 2 Horse Girls

klthomason

Visit site
We are moving to Scotland this summer so my husband can do his PhD at University of Edinburgh and trying to determine where to live that will give our girls maximum horse opportunities. My husband is willing to commute and since it's a research degree he doesn't have to be in Edinburgh ever day. The girls are 13 now and began riding in Canada where we lived for 5 years. This past year we have been staying with my parents in the US as we transition, and sadly it's been a real horse desert. So we're looking for a place where the girls can ride for fun and meet other kids their age who like horses. They also want to continue their lessons and compete in show jumping. Would love any recommendations for horsey places and good coaches. Not being able to ride and jump as much as they would like this year has really been discouraging, so I think they need a sensitive, encouraging coach. Thank you for your help.

EventingMum

Visit site
TBH every direction from Edinburgh has some degree of horsey communities. South towards Biggar has a fair number of horses as does going a bit to the East towards Peebles. East and West Lothian both have too and as Mrs M has said over the Forth into Fife is very horsey. As regards competing you may find that slightly more of a challenge unless you have your own horse or can loan one but check out some of the centres in case they do activities for clients.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would think there would be far more horse opportunities on nearby pretty much anywhere within commuting distance to Edinburgh. Im in Aberdeenshire but have been looking at Edinburgh as we also may need to move within commuting distance of there. We have a good equestrian scene here but I know down there its even better. Depends how far you're willing to travel for things. They have a lot more eventing competitions around that area that we have here for example. For competing though, in the UK its far more the norm that you have your own ponies. I guess some riding schools might have fun competitions you can borrow their ponies for, but if you want them to get into it properly Id advise buying/loaning a pony and joining the local pony club and probably trying to livery at a decent yard (ideally that runs events then you dont have to travel much/at all!). Most kids start in pony club and would help get them some friends early on too.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Leasing a competition pony from a trainer's string so your kids can compete, the way people do it in North America, is not a thing here. Your best bet, like the others have said, is to find a pony for loan/share, ideally at a yard that holds competitions. A trainer hauling a bunch of clients' horses to a show in a huge rig is also not a thing, or not a thing I've ever seen here. Everyone I know who competes has their own trailer or lorry.

My flatmate last year was an American vet student, who was a bit dismayed to discover this. She'd hoped to find a training yard leasing horses, like in the North American system. The only way she could ride was by finding her own private loan/share (she didn't bother) or taking once per week lessons at a riding school (which she did).