Moving Yards - any advice?

Syrah

Visit site
The decision has been made, I'm moving yards
crazy.gif

It's a combination of things, but the deciding factor happened yesterday. I was turning out my mare and she was being a little (although at 17hh not so little) bugger. I was also only chucking her out for a couple of hours as hoping to clip later that day (another story). A couple of other liveries came with me and suggesting I chuck her into their paddock as theirs were not going to go out until after mine was back in AND their paddock is closer than mine, plus I wouldn't have the demon herd leader to deal with therefore not being charged and bullied by herd leader when bringing mine in.

So I did. YO wasn't around to ask and I had to shoot off for an hour afterwards.

I got a message left that YO and her hubby had gone ballistic at the two other liveries so I hotfooted it back as quick as I could.

Everyone including the YO was sat in the 'sun' area when I got there so I braved it, went out and just got an absolutely filthy look off YO.

A bit later hubby arrived and we brought horsey in. YO was passing us and I struck a conversation with her. I couldn't believe what I was met with. I was holding my 20 month old daughter and she just laid into me, swearing and the tone of voice was disgusting even though I apologise TWICE. I got told to p**s off
ooo.gif

It's the straw that broke the camels back. So today, I contacted two yards that I already know of and have friends/family on and have decided on THE yard.

Molly is only a baby, rising 4, so what would you do to settle when moved?

And also how would you give your notice to current yard? In writing or just verbal (it's not stated in the contract, just 2 weeks notice)?

Also kick me up the posterior to get a bit of backbone telling current YO that I'm off
crazy.gif

Alot of requests there
grin.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
If you have paid up to date and dont owe anything then I would just leave and not say anything..... people that are that rude dont deserve to be treated properly!!

If you had done nothing wrong then just hoof it away.

I would in all honesty take everything in one go, horse and all if its possible and stuff the YO.

See what they can do to you..... I bet nothing.

Dont know how to settle, except to say to keep her routine as similar as possible, she will be fine.

itsme123

Visit site
I would give written notice and state the reasons you are leaving, your YO being verbally abusive / agressive towards you...

as for settling your mare in, just go with the flow. You know her, let her take her own time. An hour out with the 'herd' to start with, then more until she feels happy. Maybe try and take some of her used bedding with you and sprinkle it on top of clean in her new stable so she has familiar smells. Perhaps a few stable toys to distract her...

Sophiesmum

Visit site
You being happy and comfortable is more important than 2 weeks notice - I'd be gone straight away - after all, p**s off to me, means now!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I moved yards this weekend. I told my old YO verbally - there was no written contract or notice period so I told them on the Monday and left on the Friday, the day I'd paid up to.

It was a bit of a horrible few days between telling them and leaving. The husband of the YO ignored me (how childish) and the atmosphere from YO was tense. They were apparently surprised at me leaving despite the fact I'd made it clear I wasn't happy at being mislead over the turnout situation before I moved on there. It's a new yard and I was the first ever livery to leave - I think it stunned them! Apparently they've been extra nice and accommodating to the other liveries since I left.

As for settling into the new yard all horses are different in the time it takes. My two are happy anywhere as long as they've got something to eat.

Good luck with the move!

racheljane

New User
Visit site
nothing worse than a horrid a rude YO, don't worry too much about settling. When I moved yards my horse was happier than I was and it took no time at all, i am about to move agin and hate it though it's like going to a new school!!

Shipley

Visit site
Just because you have to give 2 weeks notice does not meen you have to stay there you could just pay it? I would put in writting so they have a copy incase they argue that you did not tell them. I have just moved yards with my 5 year old. He has settled reaally well. I have just done the new yards ways i.e. turnout etc anf given him a bit extra hay incase he got worried with no food and he seems really happy. Farrier thought he was lots more relaxed too!

good luck

Syrah

Visit site
We are paid up two weeks in advance from the Saturday just gone. We've got quite alot of stuff including rubber matting and horsebox so a quick getaway, although very attractive, wouldn't be possible.

Hubby was fuming when he realised what had happened. He had hold of Molly and was putting her in her stable when I got the verbal abuse. The thing that has frustrated me is I was holding my daughter and I'm probably over protective of her, but laying into me with her there, swearing at me...... I'll say no more but think of how protective we are over our horses and quadruple it.

I think a letter will give me chance to say what I want to without emotion coming into it. But the yard I'm on is a small, relaxed place so I did wonder if it was a bit of overkill.

I have good friends there too so I don't really want to burn my bridges as I also ride one of the other mares there.

"Dilema" !!

I really want to give the YO what for, but very calmly and with dignity.

Syrah

Visit site
That is something I didn't think of! Thank you
smile.gif

See, I knew someone would point the blindingly obvious to me. Just because I've paid, doesn't mean I have to stay - yaaayyyy!

merlinsquest

Visit site
If you want to stay welcome then do it by the book..... then its your choice.

You will also be able to move easily if you have the time(I managed to move in one afternoon but was knackered.... but was paid up for the rest of the month and was leaving in the first week. It was for turnout issues I had to move though, there wasnt enough at the last yard and 24/7 at present one and Merlin needed not to be stabled due to his arthritis)

Anyway losing a livery and her money will be enough punishment for the YO!!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you are paid up to date & owe nothing, & the new yard is ready to accept you then go now. From the actions & attitude of the YO it will be miserable to stay & it just isn't worth it.

As for putting your notice in writing & the reason for leaving, I wouldn't bother, just go. Make sure you have sufficient vehicle/lorry/trailer space to take all your things with you at one go. You don't want to have to return to collect anything else, you may risk confrontation. Good Luck

Flame_

Visit site
I would remind the yard owner that you are a customer and that you are not prepared to be spoken to like that so you are taking your buisness elsewhere and will advise anyone else in the future to do the same. You are absolutely right to leave ASAP there is no excuse for rudeness, especially over something so harmless and petty, and in front of your daughter. Walk away with a big smile and wish her the best of luck keeping her other liveries - because often when one leaves it gives others the guts to do the same when the YO has become a tw*t.
grin.gif

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
is new yard close enough to hack to?

when i moved we had lorry (only 3.5tonne renault master) full to the brim - not as full as you might think i have a 2wheeled carraige!!
my dad loaded up his van (peugeot expert) with matting & things from stable - barrow, mucking out tools etc

we took all the stuff up, did stable & went back for horse but you could just take all your stuff out then go straight back for the horse if you cant hack there

Syrah

Visit site
It wouldn't really be safe to hack to the new yard, it's through the town centre and a couple of 60mph roads.

We've got a 7.5tnne horse box so we should be able to fit everything and horse in there.