MOVING YARDS - WHAT TO DO FIRST - HELP

Frazer

Visit site
Hi! I am planning to move to a very high standard livery yard on the 1st Ocotber, I have moved horses before and had new horses arrive. And I normally just lead them round quickly, let them have a little bit of grass and then put them in their stable untill the evening when I lead them out and show them their surroundings. What does anyone else suggest, do. Some people say put them straight in their stable for 2 days, others say treat it like its been their for a year?? Shes a 9 year old tb who can be hot headed, but should be ok and hopefully as calm as she can be. HELP

JessPickle

Visit site
We let pickle spend a night in his stable followed by being led around to look at the new surroundings, then he had another night in his stable, he was lunged on the 3rd day tehn on the 4th day turned out in a field on his own with the horse he would be sharing his field with next door to begin with they were gradually introduced. Thats how it worked for us

Claireg9

Visit site
We lead Blue around the yard let her meet a few friends, put her in her lovely cuddly comfy stable with lots of yummy hay and a lick and the following morning we just put her out after leading her round the field showing her the perimeters and water etc etc.. She was fine and fitted in straight away!

Frazer

Visit site
Yeah, im just a bit unsure of what to do with her, she is staying it at night. Will lead her around first so she doesn't break the door down I think. Anyone else done this

Tempi

Visit site
well ive moved yards with Bloss twice. Both times we arrived at yard, she got put in her stable, given her evening feed and left til morning. Morning she was turned out in field, afternoon she was hacked out. Then straight into a normal routeen.

I dont like to make a big fuss out of things, tends to get your horse more stressed out and nervous too.

When i stay over at competitions you see al these people leading their horses around to get them used to stuff. Bloss just goes straight in her temporary stable, gets her feed and gets left alone. I normally then ride her in the morning, but she gets taken straight onto the school, or into a field and schooled, no faffing around with me im afraid!! it obviously works tho, as shes usualy the most sane horse at competitions.

Skhosu

Visit site
I let them keep to their normal routine, which for us means the new horse goes out in a field of its own a few hours after it gets here. Then it gets introduced to our herd the next day. Never had any problems, including recently introduced a mare to 4 geldings day after she got here, fine!
Sometimes we put horses out with one other as soon as they get here, keeps them settled. Depends really on the individual horse.
I never keep them stabled that night as in general I find they get themselves worked up

Parkranger

Visit site
All depends on the horse! If she's quite chilled then, assuming she'd arrive about midday, put her in her stable, give her a feed and just potter aroundher the afternoon - I kept Ty in then just turned him out the next day.

I'm with Parisienne_Girl, if you make too much of an issue out of it, then so will your horse!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I do what PG does and as worked for all of ours, none have ever had any problems.
They had to be good and learn to deal with it as i was at boarding school and they came with me to school, so they were travelling up and down the country every 6 weeks from school to home and back again.

Bertie1

Visit site
I'd never really thought about it that much before, I just take them up there and stick them in their new box or field (usually on their own at first) depending on whether I've arrived am or pm. Then just carry on as normal.

I never thought about leading them around!

I have found that the most relaxing thing (for the owner) is to take them early evening, feed them in their new box and leave them over night, then turn them out and ride etc the next day. Just means you can go home and relax knowing they're safe.

I would ride them as soon as I arrive if I wanted to - you do at a show, so why does it have to be different?

Less fuss the better, I reckon, just get on with it.

harvgj19

Visit site
When I moved my boy (pretty jumpy TB), we unloaded him and walked him through the yard, and put him in his stable with a haynet. His field mate (private yard, so just the two of them) was in his stable next door, so we left them for a couple of hours to "talk". Then we turned them out together for an hour or so, then back in for the night. Straight into normal routine the next day.

M

madabout2

Well I'm moving on Tuesday and trying something slightly different. When we moved current horse to current yard he was shown everything and put in stable and not tyurned out for 2 days and became a shivering wreck!
This time I am hacking him to the new yard and then turning him straight out (well booted and rugged) in the field next to his future herd and taking a stiff brandy! It can't be worse than last time when we had to get the vet to sedate him ... can it???