Mr Beau...First ever ridden Pics!

Hemirjtm

Visit site
Not strictly CR but I'm very very proud of my boy. We have had our ups and downs but he really wants to work now, is so willing and just wants to please :) The photos aren't that exciting but this is only the 5th time he has been sat on / ridden, we have even had a little canter off the lunge. For a 3yr old he is so balanced :D I couldn't be happier with him... onwards and upwards :D :)

Photo0170.jpg

Photo0171.jpg

Photo0172.jpg

He's very responsive to voice and not so much to my aids, but that will come with time !! :) :)

CC welcome but I don't think anyone could wipe the smile off my face !!

PS: Side reins are coming off next time I get on him, so please no comments on them!

Maia

Visit site
He looks like he could be a really lovely horse, you're very lucky!!!

I am slightly puzzled though by your use of side reins - he looks a wee bit confused by what's going on his mouth??? May be better to just use very soft hands (perhaps pop on a loose standing martingale to avoid loosing your teeth if you think that may be a concern), work on staying soft and light in the saddle (and if you canter be brave and take a 2 point seat, easier said then done when you're worried about being ejected I know!) and allowing him to settle and learn to balance in trot for a little bit longer - keep the gadgets for helping him on the lunge ;)

Hemirjtm

Visit site
He looks like he could be a really lovely horse, you're very lucky!!!

I am slightly puzzled though by your use of side reins - he looks a wee bit confused by what's going on his mouth??? May be better to just use very soft hands (perhaps pop on a loose standing martingale to avoid loosing your teeth if you think that may be a concern), work on staying soft and light in the saddle (and if you canter be brave and take a 2 point seat, easier said then done when you're worried about being ejected I know!) and allowing him to settle and learn to balance in trot for a little bit longer - keep the gadgets for helping him on the lunge ;)

Thank you :)

Side reins - I did say no comments but I will answer :) He has a key bit/breaking bit in his mouth to keep him concerntrating on it and salivating, this will be changed this week to a french link/lozenge (I think) with cheeks so he won't have too much to play with but so that I have steering. He was lunged in side reins, and is a horse that doesn't really like change, we have had to take things REALLY REALLY slowly with him as anything new he has completly flipped out in the past. He seems to have got over that now, but instead of changing it we decided to keep it the same as when he is being lunged. (he also gets lunged before I get on at the moment). The first canters we did I was in a 2 point seat, but he is actually happier if I'm sitting, he is also happier and less confused if I'm rising in the trot instead of being in a 2 point seat! It was completly different with the horse we broke last year. I completly agree that the side reins are not ideal, but they are coming off this week, and we are not going to put a standing martingale on as it's not what he needs! I'm holding onto a neck strap the whole time, so my hands aren't actually doing too much on his mouth other than finding a contact, except in the walk where we are teaching him to have directions :)

The video wasn't at the begining of the session it was pretty near the end, so I can understand all your queries! I hope I have explained why we have made these decisions (not trying to find any excuses, we are just doing what we feel is best for him :) )

Thanks again
x

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I'm just going to comment on side reins but in a good way! My friend said that when she backs her youngsters she always leave them on for the first 1 or 2 rides just so that everything tack wise stays the same and they only have to contend with a rider (well, a big only!)

He looks so nice and a lovely bright bay too :)

Hemirjtm

Visit site
I'm just going to comment on side reins but in a good way! My friend said that when she backs her youngsters she always leave them on for the first 1 or 2 rides just so that everything tack wise stays the same and they only have to contend with a rider (well, a big only!)

He looks so nice and a lovely bright bay too :)

Thats exactly why we have left them on him !! :) They are coming off this week :)

Thank you :) Fingers crossed he turns out to be the horse we are all hoping for !!