MR lovers/haters.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Did anyone see the article in the racing section of todays News Of The World? I cant find it online or I would link it.
Basically Monty Roberts giving examples of cruelty in racing. Such as horses being prodded with electric fence, and cars revved behind them to get them in the starting stalls, and chased with a 'long tom'.
I am under no illusions, I fully believe that these things did actually happen - I have heard and seen of similar examples myself. It is the way the headlines and start of the article give the impression that these things happen everywhere, everyday that bugs me. Also that by the end of the article, it had turned into a MR advert. All 'I am the big man, I speak their language' crap.
I hope everyone else could read between the lines, the general bulk of the article was factual - its just the crap around it that gives the wrong impression.
I wonder how much MR paid for the advert? Note that it was in the racing section, generally only racing people would read the days cards, and they would know better then to believe the hype.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
MR = Very efficient money maker

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite.

WTF is MR doing in News of the World? Speaks volumes IMHO
mad.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I have to stand up for him in some respects. His methods have done wonders for my friend's mare, Mya.

Have to agree I don't like the hype or the main person in this country selling his methods.

"MR = Very efficient money maker" Actually, all his profits go to charity now.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I would rather he concentrated on welfare issues abroad in countries that have little understanding about properly treating horses than spending money on an industry that is highly regulated here in the UK. Call me a cynic but I know which will get more press coverage.

Clodagh

Visit site
I went to his demo at Towerlands, out of interest (I'm a complete cynic). He is certainly very good with horses, but thats by the by. He came out with some wonderful lines, the two most memorable were 'If you single lunge line your horse you will have been taught to hit it across the hocks with the whip if it tries to drop its head' (I must have nmissed that bit in my lungeing lessons!) and 'There are two ways of breaking in a horse, sacking it out or my way' Mmmm, we always break ours somewhere between the two.
tongue.gif

Anyway, gist of demo was he does love the sound of his own voice!
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I read this, and thought WTF!
Yes, I am sure horrible incidents have happened but are not the everyday practices (I hope??!)
I disagree we are all cruel to our horses and think a lot of it was MR is great, he is the only one to work with horses!
Don't like him personally.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well MR has definitely got some bad press in the horsey world for some of his more personal stuff

However that aside I like his methods and think he has helped the horse community.

I don't believe an article as far as I can throw it - bigger the newspaper the more cr@p they print, generally without the person involved knowing! Even our local rag struggles with getting it right.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sadly it's a fact of life that every organization needs publicity in order to be successful. I'd *like* to think that he does it in order to generate more revenue. I can't speak for MR, but I do know that KM does a lot of work in poorer countries.

"Anyway, gist of demo was he does love the sound of his own voice!" PMSL!! I get this impression, too, but he's not the only American horsey person I get this impression of. I wont name names, but I wonder if it's just the way they come across - a cultural divide.

As for headlines and start of the article - this is the NOTW. Enough said, although I'm under no illusions that any other paper would hype it up less. I've been in Newspapers myself and believe me, what comes out ain't nothin like what goes in!!! ???

lauren_lryan

Visit site
Monty Roberts is a load of crap. He uses horses that know his tricks, they take the same horses to all his demos. He may do 'wonders' for some peoples horses but they are short term fixes, or even just gaining THE OWNERS CONFIDENCE. he is just a money making machine, i'm sorry to all of you that love him but i can't stand the guy. sorry!!!!!!!!!!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Rubbish

He does not take the same horses to his demos, he generally asks for local problems. Horses that know his 'tricks'? Well most horses understand body language, shame about the humans.

Anyone who thinks his methods are tricks must have serious issues. He teaches good COMMON SENSE. Plus if you had ever watched his DVD or been to a demo he does enforce that you need to train your horse - so these are not a quick fix.

Money making machine - well possibly, but is it any worse than the other brands?? At least no where near as bad as parelli for flogging the goodies!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Rubbish

He does not take the same horses to his demos, he generally asks for local problems. Horses that know his 'tricks'? Well most horses understand body language, shame about the humans.

Anyone who thinks his methods are tricks must have serious issues. He teaches good COMMON SENSE. Plus if you had ever watched his DVD or been to a demo he does enforce that you need to train your horse - so these are not a quick fix.

Money making machine - well possibly, but is it any worse than the other brands?? At least no where near as bad as parelli for flogging the goodies!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually tend to agree with you. Whomever said that he uses the same horses for all his demos is talking twaddle, what I would say though is that the horses used are 'carefully' picked, a friend of mine had hers turned down as it had too many issues.

MR is a very good horseman, no doubt about it. I also think that he should do more in the third world or shout a little more about live transportation in both the US and Europe, but that does not make money. OK he may give his money to charity now - but then he can afford it from the millions he has made peddling common sense. I actually think what he does now is a little dangerous, newbies to the horse world, read a book, watch a demo, maybe do a two day course and BINGO - out pops this afficionado who knows that THEIR way is the only way and everybody else is wrong - result lots of mixed up horses and people with bruises at best and broken bones at worst.

As for Pat Parelli - do not even get me started on that one
e010.gif

Fransurrey

Visit site
"from the millions he has made peddling common sense"

Whether people believe he's peddling common sense or otherwise, I think we can all agree that common sense needs a damn good peddling these days! There are too many people who have bought a horse without realising exactly what they're taking on or appreciating their behaviour patterns.

If you look on the IHDG right now, there are requests for 'problem horses' for upcoming demos in 2007. They do normally have to select for various reasons. I'm not a demo fan, though.

TheCount

New User
Visit site
Vicijp - I totally agree with you.

We were on our way to Carlisle races feeling very hurt that we/racing has been branded vicious horse torturers by this very same man who once spent days chasing a horse across practical desert, not allowing it food or water, whilst frequently changing mounts himself - all so that the horse would finally ''accept'' him and let him catch it - oh and he was happy for it all to be filmed for ''entertainment' as well.

The man is a money grabbing, attention seeking w4nker in my humble opinion.