Muck Spreaders: Does anyone have one of these?

Shazzababs

Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.elitegroundproducts.com/index.html

It looks great on paper, a simple efficient design with not much to go wrong, they seam more widespread in the states. I wondered if anyone has one, and whether you have used it with wood pellet bedding?

I was mainly wondering how much drops out of the bottom while you are filling it up\waiting for it to be full. Also is it easy to load from a digger bucket if needed.

Any other recommendations would be good but it needs to be small and rear discharge as our tractor is only 30hp and cabless!

I've been paying someone to spread my heap at the end of each winter for a while, but I'm struggling to find someone that is prepared to do such a small job and can fit through my internal gateways which are only 8ft.

crabbymare

Visit site
the problem I would see with the model you linked to is that the capacity is quite small so if you have a manure heap from the winter its going to take a lot of loads to spread it. it looks from the site as if the idea is to spread the manure rather than have a heap? this would not be great for me as I would not want fresh put on the fields every few days

Dry Rot

Visit site
The old process was to muck out to a midden. Leave it to rot down during which time it would heat up. Then, in frosty weather, fork that onto a trailer. Take trailer out into the field and deposit the manure in small heaps in a long line. Then someone would spread it by hand using a four pronged fork. Personally, I'd rather do it the old fashioned way. But I do have a muck spreader loaded with the front loader on the tractor these days.

The heaping part is an important link in the chain of using muck as a fertiliser as the build up of heat due to bacterial action will kill weed seeds, worm eggs, etc. So your 'muck spreader' wouldn't cut it for me.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Try a Fleming Mini Muck Spreader? Much more normal looking.

Although I doubt it would work out much cheaper than paying someone....

Pen

Visit site
We spread muck(2-3 horses) with a Siromer tractor (20hp, cheap and Chinese) and a Millcreek spreader. The Millcreek is rear discharge. We had a Flemming mini but our tractor wasn't powerful enough for it. Those drum type spreaders look a bit flimsy to me and quite expensive for what they are. I think in the long run buying your own equipment pays for itself and the big advantage is you can do the job when the weather is suitable and its convenient for you.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It might be worth noting if you want to spread too that wood pellets take longer to decompose than other bedding types, which is why were aren't allowed to use them for whole beds on my yard.

Shazzababs

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Pen - I'm looking at the Millcreek too, it looks nice, easy to load, and won't spray me with poo! Our tractor is a Siromer too, but its a slightly bigger model than yours.

Ester - its strange, I've found the pellet bedding rots down much faster than the shavings/paper I was using before, my much heap is ready to spread in half the time. I do 'soak' it before use though.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I am not a believer in muck spreading over grass land as it spreads all sorts of seeds etc. on to one's grassland.
I prefer to let it rot down over several years (turning every 6 months) and allow locals then to use it on their gardens.