Mucking out cars

3OldPonies

Visit site
Just wondering, having spent my lunch hour mucking out the car, it is just me or do others suffer from a bad case of having what seems to be most of the field and quite a bit of the horse in the car?

It took pretty much the whole hour, and I have to confess did involve a fair bit of Febreze as well!!!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
My car is awful!

I only have a little StreetKa so not much room at all, but every orifice is filled with rubbish!

The boot looks like a cross between a tack room, rubbish bin and muck heap, behind both seat there is god knows what! I turf out about a kilo of dried dust/mud/hay occasionally and my OH makes me wipe the seats before he goes in it. My front seat is currently housing a couple of coats, a pair of jeans, some boots and a couple of books.

I am ashamed of my car. I may clean it this weekend :p

Carlosmum

Visit site
Our poor disco is suffering atm. Always full of farm, mud, pig feed, string etc. a couple of days ago son was driving it, slammed his brakes on to avoid a merc in the middle of the road & lost a drum of water everywhere. Its soaked into the carpet which has woken all THOSE smells & now smells like something died in there. OH is taking the Organic inspector out in it shortly, hope he has a strong stomach!

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
My last car was scrapped partly so I didn't have to clean it :eek: .

And we bought our Disco for only £400 because it is covered in dog hair and the guy selling it couldn't be bothered to clean it up :D. Had it a few months now and just added to the existing dog hair.

BeingKate

Visit site
Haha yep I have that problem. I have a lovely old faithful landrover (Mr Mainwaring) which I practically live out of in the week. He's full of horse clothes, wellies, mud, horse poo, dog hair, paw prints everywhere, doggy nose marks on the window, bits of sandwich, bits of unidentifiable past lunches, I dropped a bottle of brake fluid all over the passenger seat, my other half pulled the seats back and squashed a bottle of purple spray everywhere, but I LOVE my disco and it all adds character :)

DW Team

Visit site
Yes can understand that mine is sitting outside the door at the mo and I really should go and muck it out. On the back seat there are 4 new stable rugs, bale of alfa A, reusable shopping bags, the footwell has new headcollars and ropes which I need to sneak into the tackroom! The boot dog hair more dog hair and her food, 2 sacks of chicken food, conditioning cubes, sugar beet, and lots more. Front footwell has my mucky boots, seat has at least 2 coats and a gillet. Better go and muck it out

Annagain

Visit site
My OH is obsessive about keeping our cars clean. I'm not allowed in his in my riding gear and heaven forbid I ever take it to the farm - it is a sporty low thing and the lane is very potholey. I did it once because I was angry with him after a row just to win ;) and I put the dog in it now and again even though she's not allowed in it, it gives me a lovely feeling of sticking two fingers up at his pernicketyness. :D

He cleans mine about once a month and moans constantly about white hairs, mud and hay, but he secretly loves it, he wouldn't do it otherwise. I don't dislike him doing it, but I wouldn't really care if he didn't, it's a Land Rover, it doesn't look right unless it's caked in mud and full of hay.

Last edited:

fatpiggy

Visit site
A mechanic once asked me if I actually stabled my horse in my car given the amount of hay and straw which was in the brake callipers! The car previous to the one I have now, when I went to test drive it, the garage apologised for not having valeted it yet, but it had only just come in - I was pleased to find a couple of strands of hay clinging to the back seat. No wonder I bought it! One time someone broke into one of my cars and rummaged around in the boot. He left my long riding coat draped over the roof, and probably went off to find somewhere to wash his hands because also carried in the boot was a very skanky pair of trainers used for summer mucking out and several rotten apple cores that I'd forgotten about. Absolutely nothing was pinched :)

edgedem

Visit site
if my car isn't covered in hay, feed, shoes, mud, poop & hair its covered in wheels, oil, tyres, tools, petrol & car bits thanks to my OH's obsession with spending all the money and time on breaking race cars!

so Ive just given up all hope on the thing ill probably sell it when it gets underivable due to the rubbish!

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Mine is dreadful, it is a workhorse, when we bought our new place with its own land and yard had to sell my beloved Mini Cooper S - which wasn't v practical anyway as could only get my riding hat and long boots int the boot! Hubby wanted me to have a nice-ish car so found me a v cheap 52 plate jag x type, it has cream leather interior and is low mileage and looked after and is now our workhorse as has a towbar, it tows the muck trailer down the lane and across the field to empty the trailer (the neighbours have commented how hilarious it is seeing a jag pulling a huge pile of steaming poo), I went shopping the other day and had to put fuel in it and as I was standing there filling it up I have to admit I was ashamed that it was covered in the contents of the muck trailer that had blown about and there were strands of straw on the forecourt that came out of the car on my shoes when I got out! Oops

3OldPonies

Visit site
Loving all your replies. It's soooo nice to know that I'm not alone.

I do usually favour the deep litter route, but it has to go in for a service and MOT at the end of the week, and the thought was that they might at least be able to find the car in amongst all the bits of hay, pony hair, jackets, boots, torches, dropped feed (a bucketful got upended in the boot), shoes, work coats, scarves, odd spanners, umbrellas, odd bits of tack, petrol receipts etc if I cleaned it up a bit.

tbh it's not been done since we evacuated for the floods back at the beginning of the year and I was using it as a mobile tack/rug room and feed room for the two months that we were away from our yard.

As to giving people lifts - I find it quite handy to have a car full of stuff - that way antisocial as it may be, I never get asked for lifts, and if anyone is stupid enough, they soon change their minds!

pennyturner

Visit site
Keeping a messy car has advantages:

Recently got down to the field to find a section of fence down. It was helpful to find that (among other things) in the debris of the boot, under hats, hay and god knows what, were a box of fence staples, a couple of hammers and a fence post!

Archangel

Visit site
I had to stop suddenly and the boy's feed tipped up everywhere - when I got home I put the chickens in there for half an hour - good hoovers chickens!

My handbag is worse - I had to turn it out for a security check - iron age flint (for opening bales), wormer, hoofpick, some straw. So embarassing.

pennyturner

Visit site
The police might have fun searching my car.
I got some funny looks at work when I offered colleagues a lift and they looked in the boot...

...plastic sheeting (we'd recently had a pig slaughtered), blue rope and a machete.
There was probably some gaffer tape too, but it was underneath a pile of other stuff.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I had to stop suddenly and the boy's feed tipped up everywhere - when I got home I put the chickens in there for half an hour - good hoovers chickens!

Wow - you've just given me an idea, I've been trying to justify getting a couple of chickens!!! Not sure if car cleaning will swing the argument, but I'm going to try it.

fiwen30

Visit site
Love these replies!

I'm currently using DH's car, a Peugeot 208, and I removed 7 coats and fleeces from it yesterday... Besides that hiccup, I've found that a collapsible crate in the boot helps keep the horsey things contained. Not much to be done about the hay and mud in the driver's footwell though...

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I have managed to get the first layer out, it's in the garage, waiting to be sorted through. Now I am too ashamed to take it to the polish guys to clean.....so I might have to clean it before I take it to be cleaned!!:D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The police might have fun searching my car.
I got some funny looks at work when I offered colleagues a lift and they looked in the boot...

...plastic sheeting (we'd recently had a pig slaughtered), blue rope and a machete.
There was probably some gaffer tape too, but it was underneath a pile of other stuff.

We are subject to security searches at work, I think that might cause me some issues! :D I've worried enough remembering there is still alcohol left in there from a camping weekend!

Visit site
Everytime I change my car I swear I will not let it get horse converted. They are always so beautifully clean when you pick them up.
I only give lifts to horsey people, they never comment !

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
A friend wants my OH to drive four bridesmaids to and from venues this weekend in his Discovery. It's filthy. He's a mechanic and it's also full of dog hair and general soil and straw. It will take us 3 solid days of hoovering and cleaning. It may even cost less to run once the layers of muck are gone!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
We had to part exchange one 4wd after one of the cats was accidentally locked in it overnight. Fabreeze only lasts so long!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My OH is obsessive about keeping our cars clean. I'm not allowed in his in my riding gear and heaven forbid I ever take it to the farm - it is a sporty low thing and the lane is very potholey. I did it once because I was angry with him after a row just to win ;) and I put the dog in it now and again even though she's not allowed in it, it gives me a lovely feeling of sticking two fingers up at his pernicketyness. :D

He cleans mine about once a month and moans constantly about white hairs, mud and hay, but he secretly loves it, he wouldn't do it otherwise. I don't dislike him doing it, but I wouldn't really care if he didn't, it's a Land Rover, it doesn't look right unless it's caked in mud and full of hay.

This made me laugh my oh cant stand dirty cars and is often seen hoovering mine, although I have no excuse as my horses are at home but I do have the dog in mine quite a bit so its mainly her hair, I have even seen him hoovering the cab in the horsebox bless him!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Just walked in from mucking mine out - sort of. Don't know why I bother, but OH been nagging at me. First time I've cleaned it, and have owned it since first week of August. The boot is for the dogs, so why bother cleaning that!? Just throw in a clean sheet for them. The back seat has currently got all my 'stuff' on it, normally its in the boot, but spaniel dog I wouldn't trust to chew, so while I have her, stuff is everywhere. Large carrier bag of rubbish, an unopened packet of biscuits, a few clothes and a hoover full of hay though = good hours job, so hope OH pleased with my efforts. Will order car mats - cover up existing stuff left behind!?