Mucking out efficiently?

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Hi all,
So I made a post while back on my other account who I lost access to under the name Fidget_Thief regarding how to be quicker at mucking out. Since then, I am due to return to my old yard.

However, I've been given the opportunity to be a groom apprentice there and thinking of taking it. Which is exciting

But, I feel I really want to meet up to a groom standard before I am starting this apprenticeship especially for mucking out quick and being really quick with everything as it takes me half an hour to do shavings, 15 mins for wood pelletes (Only 2 horses are on it sadly lol) and like 45 mind on straw. What are your little methods of mucking out or little tips for being more efficient with time?

Arzada

Visit site
Take a look at the stable and if you need fresh bedding take that with you before you start mucking out.

Shavings: scoop poo up by hand into a skip and when this is full lob the poo into your nearby wheelbarrow and repeat. Shovel up the wet area/s into the wheelbarrow

Straw: the droppings are heavier than the straw so I get the fork under the straw and the pile of droppings, turn to the bare front part of the stable and tip the droppings onto the floor and then lob the straw which is still on the fork onto the banks. Repeat. When you've done this with all the droppings shovel the whole lot into your wheelbarrow. Lift the wet straw straight into the wheelbarrow.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I find straw quickest. Just get the fork under the poo including straw underneath it, tilt over the wheelbarrow so the poo falls in leaving the straw on the fork, throw straw that's still on the fork back onto the banks, once you've got all the poo out scrap back over wee patches throwing all the clean straw to the sides till you're just left with wet areas then throw all that in the wheelbarrow sweep/scrap out and put bed back down. I do shavings the same except I sift the poo out and then throw against the walls so any remaining bits of poo roll down to the floor then gather them all on the fork.

I wouldn't worry about getting up to speed before you start though, they shouldn't expect an apprentice to already be super quick and the more you do the quicker you'll get without even noticing.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Mucking out with straw is the exact opposite to shavings. With straw ,you clear all the clean (with a two prong fork )into one or two clean piles and clear everything else away . Spread clean straw back down and shake up a few sections of new straw over the top. Plaiting the straw across the doorway is no longer regarded as an essential.I am so much faster with a straw bed!

rextherobber

Visit site
I think you're worrying unnecessarily, the whole point of an apprenticeship is to be taught how to do things. Speed comes with practice, which I'm sure you'll get plenty of. Don't lose sight of the fact that they are supposed to be giving you tuition, an apprenticeship should not be cheap labour.

Ceifer

Visit site
I think you're worrying unnecessarily, the whole point of an apprenticeship is to be taught how to do things. Speed comes with practice, which I'm sure you'll get plenty of. Don't lose sight of the fact that they are supposed to be giving you tuition, an apprenticeship should not be cheap labour.

This.

and also, every yard is different.
Mucking out times can depend on
How messy the individual horse is
Bedding
How big the bed is

And stupid but true
The quality of your tools

You will get more efficient with practice.

Widgeon

Visit site
I use a builder's bag (the big ones that gravel or firewood arrive in) inside the wheelbarrow, then I muck out into the bag. You can fit quite a lot more in that way, and it doesn't all blow around while you're ferrying it to the muckheap. So you need a lot fewer trips to the muckheap, and I find that's the bit that takes up all the time.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You will get quicker with practice, don't worry. It generally takes about 15 minutes per stable to do a thorough muck out, including a floor sweep, but very messy horses will take longer. I'm much faster with straw beds as that's what I'm used to, shavings take me longer. Every yard has their own way of doing things and an apprentice won't be expected to be perfect at first.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mucking out with straw is the exact opposite to shavings. With straw ,you clear all the clean (with a two prong fork )into one or two clean piles and clear everything else away . Spread clean straw back down and shake up a few sections of new straw over the top. Plaiting the straw across the doorway is no longer regarded as an essential.I am so much faster with a straw bed!
I’ve heard the term before but remind me what in earth is plaiting the straw?!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I’ve heard the term before but remind me what in earth is plaiting the straw?!
You make a plait with the straw across the doorway of the stable. I learned to do this at my first job (50 years ago). It looks FABULOUS and is also practical as it stops stray straws coming out into the yard. Needless to say, I don't do this on a regular basis.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
You make a plait with the straw across the doorway of the stable. I learned to do this at my first job (50 years ago). It looks FABULOUS and is also practical as it stops stray straws coming out into the yard. Needless to say, I don't do this on a regular basis.

Have you any photographs? I'm really curious.

sport horse

Visit site
The have offered you an apprenticeship knowing that you are slow at mucking out so do not worry! Why do you not ask your boss exactly what you have put here ie 'I am aware I am slow can you give me help in speeding up'. As an apprentice you are there to be trained so it is their job to show you the best way to become a groom. Good luck I hope you enjoy your new job.

ihatework

Visit site
As an apprentice you are there to learn and they are there to teach you, so don't worry about being slow.
From the way you have come accross I'm sure you will be a valuable asset, employers want people keen to learn how to be quick & efficient!

Birker2020

Visit site
Hi all,
So I made a post while back on my other account who I lost access to under the name Fidget_Thief regarding how to be quicker at mucking out. Since then, I am due to return to my old yard.

However, I've been given the opportunity to be a groom apprentice there and thinking of taking it. Which is exciting

But, I feel I really want to meet up to a groom standard before I am starting this apprenticeship especially for mucking out quick and being really quick with everything as it takes me half an hour to do shavings, 15 mins for wood pelletes (Only 2 horses are on it sadly lol) and like 45 mind on straw. What are your little methods of mucking out or little tips for being more efficient with time?
For shavings I only ever use a snow shovel, I find it is quicker and more efficient and you remove less shavings. I get rid of the big poo's first, then take up all the shavings that I know are dry and throw them against the banks so the little bits fall down, then I gather them up. If I find a wet patch I will remove it and when I add new shavings I never lie it on top but only ever mix it in.

I have a method where I bounce the poo on the shovel so that the shavings fall onto the fall and the poo is kept on the shovel and then emptied into the barrow.

I bang the bed down well with the shovel and sweep up around the bed. In the summer its probably 4 or 5 mins. In the winter when the bed is thicker and the horse is in longer I will spend around 20 mins.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I can’t get it below 20 mins; small pony on shavings with pellets on the wet patch. He likes a nice deep bed, but also likes to churn in it up and the droppings are so tiny they don’t stay in defined piles…. Luckily the wet patch is in the same place so the pellets do help save some shavings. I can be much quicker with larger tidier horses, particularly those with thinner beds, but I’ve only got the one bed to do so his royal shortness can have it his own way.

ponynutz

Visit site
For shavings I only ever use a snow shovel, I find it is quicker and more efficient and you remove less shavings. I get rid of the big poo's first, then take up all the shavings that I know are dry and throw them against the banks so the little bits fall down, then I gather them up. If I find a wet patch I will remove it and when I add new shavings I never lie it on top but only ever mix it in.

I have a method where I bounce the poo on the shovel so that the shavings fall onto the fall and the poo is kept on the shovel and then emptied into the barrow.

I bang the bed down well with the shovel and sweep up around the bed. In the summer its probably 4 or 5 mins. In the winter when the bed is thicker and the horse is in longer I will spend around 20 mins.

This for me too really is the best way! I also spot add new shavings. Do it every day; I'm adding about two or three small feed buckets of shavings a day where I've taken wet out which makes life a lot quicker and easier.

Visit site
With a straw bed I poo lick first using a poo picker, then turn over and find the wet straw, take that out, sweep that patch and then bed back down. If I am wanting to sweep the whole floor,

Visit site
Damn page reloaded…. ?

I then push it all to the edges to sweep the whole floor. I put any old hay under the bed to add as extra bedding, and then this will be removed on the next muck out. I put any clean straw in last in the bed.

Peglo

Visit site
I muck out my stables differently for each horse. Ones on shavings and it’s just a pain. I still don’t really know what I’m doing. The other 2 are on straw. One I lift all the dry straw and then pick up poop and wet straw. She’s really easy and clean to muck out.The other I poo pick and then lift the bed.

You may find quicker ways to muck out different beds. The people who usually muck out may help you but getting to know the horses habits will be the most useful for efficient mucking out.

Ratface

Visit site
We used to do this - or rather the people who kindly looked after our horses/ponies did. That was 60+ years ago, and it did look very smart.
My horse is beautifully looked after by a very experienced older person. She knows how to do plaited straw beds, but doesn't see it as a priority, these days!