Mucking out musings ...

Mrs B

Visit site
You know when you're mucking out and your mind wanders a bit? ... and you suddenly realise something ...

In my (sad) case, it's that I am a rather grotty version of the fairy tale 'The Princess and the Pea'. Even in my half comatose state, I can still immediately feel a rogue piece of poo through thick wellies and 4 inches of shavings.

I think I need to get a life ... :oops:

Mrs B

Visit site
I can deftly flick a stray piece of poop into a wheelbarrow from any point in stable....but can I play any sport whatsoever....nope

Then I think you should promote this as the next Olympic Sport - I mean, come on! It's like curling. Without the ice and without anyone helping with a yard broom to pave your way. MUCH more skill involved.

Esmae

Visit site
There would be 2 parts to the Olympic sport. The 2nd being the "foot to broom grab and deposit in the wheelbarrow" of the last bit of sweepings off the yard. Deffo should get out more.

SEL

Visit site
Even in my half comatose state, I can still immediately feel a rogue piece of poo through thick wellies and 4 inches of shavings.

I think I need to get a life ... :oops:

Great skill. The fat appaloosa is now in overnight for winter and is back to burying her poo. First glance stable looks like a 5 min job then you realise you need to start digging.

I think I suffer from some sort of winter muck out repressed memory syndrome. Every year it comes flooding back why I like Fatty and Farty on 24 hour turn out.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Then I think you should promote this as the next Olympic Sport - I mean, come on! It's like curling. Without the ice and without anyone helping with a yard broom to pave your way. MUCH more skill involved.

Musing on the Olympic sport..

The Poo Pentathon
( to replace the Modern Pentathlon and be marked in a similar fashion)

Event 1.. poo flicking x 5.. most total distance
Event 2.. poo flicking x 5..accuracy, shortest time into a muck skip
Event 3.. poo search x 10.. find poos in 12’ x 12’ stable, shortest time
Event 4.. poo pick.. x 10.. random 500sq metres, fastest time
Event 5.. poo race.. fill wheelbarrow, take to muck heap negotiating bumpy yard, puddles, random yard tools, terriers, chatty YO etc, ending with slippy plank up muck heap.

Events 3,4,& 5 competitors will be isolated so all have the same test.

All tools must be inspected and passed as legal by the judges. ( specifications pending)

A ‘standard poo’ is being developed by Professor Plop of The Min of Ag and Dr Joe King of Wecanmakeanything Plastics and will be available shortly.

A list of qualifying dates and venues will be released as soon as possible.

Wishing all our competitors the best of luck in the coming season.

I have far too much time on my hands today. 😀

Mrs B

Visit site
I have learned that I can't be in one of my stables when someone else is mucking out. I feel myself getting all wrinkly round the nostrils when people don't sift properly and chuck away clean bedding!

Love that description :cool: ... and yes, Cortez! Perfect word ... I get 'twitchy' too ... :rolleyes:

beingachicken

Visit site
I have learned that I can't be in one of my stables when someone else is mucking out. I feel myself getting all wrinkly round the nostrils when people don't sift properly and chuck away clean bedding!
Yes!! 😂
Hate it! Partly because shavings are so expensive and partly because I really hate little tiny bit of poo spotted round

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I can't watch when Mr Red mucks out. He has taken t over as his job since he retired. I am very grateful as my back is shocking, but I do sifting with tools and then more sifting by hand. He sort of approximates.

Having said that, we are down to 2 bales a week from 4 when he started, so I guess he has refined his own poo flicking technique. I suspect that is because he is also now in charge of the muck heap!

Mrs B

Visit site
I bag the muck straight from the stables. Local gardeners come when they wish to take it and return the bags later. They also keep me supplied with used dog food bags etc. as my horse feed is in paper sacks.

We used to bag up well rotted stuff years ago - Mum used to sell it for about 50p a sack for charity. We had one neighbour who thought it was rather tasteless to sell 'manure' to raise funds that way ... :rolleyes:

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
We used to bag up well rotted stuff years ago - Mum used to sell it for about 50p a sack for charity. We had one neighbour who thought it was rather tasteless to sell 'manure' to raise funds that way ... :rolleyes:

My gardeners take it all year round. Some of them compost it with their own garden waste and use it later. I like it as I don’t have a muck heap.

Cahill

Visit site
recently retired OH has started `helping`....he says i turn into `field wife` and that i cant help barking out orders.
he doesnt seem to understand all my labour saving tips and that i like everything left `just so` for next visit.
untill he does as he is told,he can just do the water haha.