Mucking out shavings

TwoForTwo

Visit site
When mucking out shavings, do you pick through and keep as much as possible or do you Chuck out anything even slightly dis coloured?

Cheval Gal

Visit site
Im tight so i muck out by hand. Its only the wettest of the wet that gets chucked. I compete with myself to see how little gets put in the basket each time, lol!
Same here. I now use straw , but when I used shavings I also used to compete with myself each day, to see how little wastage I could manage. Dont like shavings tbh.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I also poo pick by hand. The wet gets dug out every two weeks or sooner if it starts to look wet. I only use 2 bales of shavings a month and the bed always looks clean after it’s been mucked out. I get 2 trugs of poo and a few shavings daily.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I do it by hand too. I hate using a fork to throw the shavings on the side, breaking the poo into a thousand pieces, but I do use a fork to scrape the surface where I know the wet patches will be and remove those spot areas with a fork or snow shovel.
Most of the bed is undisturbed, there's minimal wastage and the bed stays clean. ( I also pick out feet and remove mud before allowing the mud whallower back in to his stable. ) Mucking out is very quick.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Nitrile gloves pick by hand, then scrape the wet shavings out every day, two ponies one wheel barrow full each morning

Batgirl

Visit site
I use a fyna lite forum that has the wider set tines. I poo pick with that, then normal shavings fork and take the worst wet out at the weekend, the minimal at goes back under the bed. I have a Clydesdale an an very happy with half a barrow a day and two at the weekend ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I sometimes take droppings out by hand but can easily do it with a shavings fork without throwing the clean shavings out, then I lift the wet most days I might leave it a day if I am short on time, my beds have to look pure white I can't have dark shavings so they are very thick and I add a bit of clean everyday I use about 1.5 bales a week per stable if they are in overnight much less if they are out most of the time.

TwoForTwo

Visit site
See I am as careful as possible but 3 of the liveries on the yard I’m at through away the cleanest shavings going, it’s so tempting to put in my stable what they chuck the muck heap

kathantoinette

Visit site
I use a poo scoop to get the worst of the poos out and then shavings fork to flick the shavings against the wall to then get the smaller bit and the wet out.i have very two clean horses (well horse and a pony) and I put a bale in the horse stable and 1/2 in the pony stable once a week in the middle of winter when they are in for approx 15 hours a night.

doodle

Visit site
Minto was great. I used rubber gloves and took the poo out - 1 trug full. Then used a shavings fork and took out the one wet patch - 1 more trug. Covered over the hole, swept the front and job done. New bale every 6 days.

Robin is a bloomin nightmare. He dosnt bother to pick up his feet when moving round stable so wees in 2 places then drags the wet shavings round. He then poos in 2 places which isn’t spread so much. I then take 3 barrows out each day as I have to take all the dirty stuff out. A fresh bale every 3 days. So that plan didn’t last and he went back to straw which is provided.