Mucking out

Helen246

New User
Visit site
My little Shetland does the smallest poo’s which makes mucking out hard and takes forever he is also very messy it looks like a chocolate chip cookie when I go in a morning ?
The little bits go through the fork and I seem to be doing most of it by hand I don’t mind hand picking up the poo it’s just the time it takes me
Does anyone use a small prong fork for shavings?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I use a poop-scoop, with the rake having the bent wire bit and also the solid back.

I also have a shavings fork, but TBH prefer the poop scoop and rake.

I feel your pain, my Sh@tland has little rabbit poos too, especially as dieting was pretty much constant.

Helen246

New User
Visit site
I use a poop-scoop, with the rake having the bent wire bit and also the solid back.

I also have a shavings fork, but TBH prefer the poop scoop and rake.

I feel your pain, my Sh@tland has little rabbit poos too, especially as dieting was pretty much constant.

What kind of poop scoop? Where from? Can you send me a picture?

Auslander

Visit site
How big are your beds? My shetland sized beds are just wide/long enough for them to lie down flat out, but as thick as a normal bed so that they are comfy, and the wee drains to the bottom. If I put them in a fully bedded stale, it'd take me hours to muck them out!

Chappie

Visit site
Ooh the dungbeetle looks worth investigating for shavings, and certainly impressive on the woodpellets video on the link! I'm going to keep a look out for them becoming available in future.
I waste far too much of my shavings ? I like the bed as white as possible! I can't seem to get on with a fork though, maybe not found the right one.

OP I'd try an ordinary poop scoop if you're on straw?

Might be no good if its wet and messy but if it's dry, could you quickly shovel into a large pile, don gloves and pick up all the clean dry straw, shaking the poo to the ground and tossing the clean dry straw aside? Or am I gross?!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
How big are your beds? My shetland sized beds are just wide/long enough for them to lie down flat out, but as thick as a normal bed so that they are comfy, and the wee drains to the bottom. If I put them in a fully bedded stale, it'd take me hours to muck them out!
Mine are bedded like this too, I put on a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves and scoop into old water bucket.

Helen246

New User
Visit site
Ooh the dungbeetle looks worth investigating for shavings, and certainly impressive on the woodpellets video on the link! I'm going to keep a look out for them becoming available in future.
I waste far too much of my shavings ? I like the bed as white as possible! I can't seem to get on with a fork though, maybe not found the right one.

OP I'd try an ordinary poop scoop if you're on straw?

Might be no good if its wet and messy but if it's dry, could you quickly shovel into a large pile, don gloves and pick up all the clean dry straw, shaking the poo to the ground and tossing the clean dry straw aside? Or am I gross?!
? not gross at all I’m on shaving found it too messy on straw
What do you use on instead of fork?

Helen246

New User
Visit site
About the same really wee is no probs it’s my 1 year old really his poo is small and he is so messy it’s everywhere in the morning ?‍♀️