Mud Fever again and update... sorry!

_jetset_

Visit site
Well, Grace had the vet up and they put her on three days of antibiotics and gave her antibiotic cream. It seemed to bring the swelling in her back legs right down, and one of them has improved dramatically.

I did start putting turnout socks on, but they seemed to open the scabs and make them weep again, so tomorrow I am going to leave them off. She is having Keratex Mud Shield on twice a day to establish a barrier (it waterproofs the legs and is antibacterial but allows the legs to breath) and then I intend on leaving the mud on the legs and brushing it Thursday morning...

Do you think I am doing the right thing? I am reluctant to get the vet up again so soon (came last week) and one of her back legs has completely cleared up. But the one that was the worst still has some scabs on and is still a bit swollen.

I have tried to get the scabs off, but I have also read somewhere that you should try to let them fall off on their own once they have dried up. The scabs are no longer weeping, they are very dry and crusty.

Thanks for your help again,

Rebecca x

beh

Visit site
Oh poor you, my horsey had MF ast winter, his legs swelled up so he had a week of peniccilin (sp) injections. Other pony also had it vet said legs dried when come in then had a strong iodine sloution and then some other green stuff held on his leg for a while, it cleaned it up really quickly, dont no if they do it anyomore
confused.gif
hope all clears up really quick
laugh.gif

Louby

Visit site
My old mare had it really bad the first year I owned her. I was reluctantly persuaded to leave well alone and brush off the dry mud in the morning. Hers too went crusty looking and the scabs just flaked off. I didnt pick at them. Once it healed I used Gold Labels Mud Guard which is a liquid that acts as a barrier and it worked for her.
Good luck