mud fever again... please read

_daisy_

Visit site
Having gone out hunting on Chantin on Boxing Day, we seem to have had a huge outburst of mud fever. Im cleaning it and puttng cream on it but I dont think that the tracks round us are helping it either
so can you hack out in turnout boots?

Parkranger

Visit site
The only thing that I've ever found to truely get rid of mudfever is washing the legs with carbolic soap everyday.

it's an old fashioned remedy but my dad swears by it and has cured so many horses!

parsley

Visit site
My boy had bad mudfever this autumn (I did call the vet) and I eventually cleared it up in the following way:
every other day - slap on a LOT of aqueous cream (very cheap from chemist) mixed with sulphur powder (very cheap from farm supplier) - cover in clingfilm and then bandage on top. Leave all day (or all night) then remove cling film and towel, scrape off all scabby tissue (be reasonable if your horse goes up the wall). Apply flamazine cream (perscription from the vet).

The vet also said to smear on petroleum jelly on very thickly before going hacking to stop the skin getting wet and muddy (but take it off again later to stop the pores getting blocked)

I also think a magic ingredient for him was adding echinacea to his diet - I buy the tablets from Tesco and he gets 10 a day (he is 700kg) which works out at 5000 mg per day. I gave him this after new scabs started popping up and they did stop - of course this could have been coincidence!

I really think that you just have to experiment a bit and see what works for you.

Tempi

Visit site
my archie has mudfever and ive been putting aromaheel on it everymorning before he goes out in the field. Then once a week ive washed with fairy liquid (to get all the barrier cream off) then hibiscrub then wrapped his legs in thermatex leg wraps over night to dry them out and then started the process again. It was quite bad but now its basically gone so i shall just be putting udder cream on as a barrier after i next wash them off on sunday.

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks PG - i use Thermatex boots on her over night when ive washed her legs with Hibiscrub. It was nearly cleared up and was doing great till I took her out on Boxing Day.
Well been in touch with the vet and weve decided a course of antibiotics will help her as her legs is starting to swell up slightly with it all.
Most of the scabs are off now but her legs is quite red/pink so it looks very sore

_daisy_

Visit site
hacked her out in the boots this morning and they seemed to do the trick.
Ive always used turnout boots on her and never had a problem with using them when shes had mud fever. I always clean them thoroughly and get rid of any infection that may be on the boots. Always make sure that if she does have any affected areas on any legs that the same boot gets put on that leg so not to transfer to any other areas.

If i dont use turnout boots on her when she has mud fever, it means she cant go out in the field. Ive tried everything from creams to vaseline and it gets worse. However she hates being in if the weather isnt bad so it isnt really feasible to keep her stabled as she goes frantic. Worser of two evils with her im afraid.

The antibiotics will kick in soon so hopefully will clear it up very quickly with the added help of dermobion.

Madrid

Visit site
I understand, what a pain! (literally for horse and owner). I bought my mare 3 weeks ago and she had mud fever. The seller said it was "no big deal". Well I have 3 legs cleared up by using baby oil first to soak the scabs off for easy removal, then I washed with diluted betadine, then applied this stuff called M-T-G (contains sulfur). And it worked well. The 4th leg has been a challenge. I applied vaseline to remove the scabs (not an easy process for her), then washed it down and have been applying nitrofurozone. We'll see. For future prevention on the other legs, I have been applying vaseline 2-3 times a week. Good luck!

Patches

Visit site
I love M-T-G!!!

I had some shipped over from the states by some relatives of ours. It was brilliant on my yearling (he was a foal at the time) who'd suffered quite badly with ringworm. Hair re-grew so quickly. Mind you, it smells like a mixture of tar and rubber! LOL

_daisy_

Visit site
Ive only been discussing this with my mum tonight about how much hard work it is trying to keep it at bay. Just takes so long to clean them from when she comes in, clean her turnout boots, Put her thermatex boots on, and any cream she needs. its horrendous - certainly wouldnt buy another horse with 4 full white legs !!
think that if I get my own place (touches wood and hopes/prays) shell have a concrete paddock which means no mud!!! that should help her but not good that she cant graze.
never heard of M-T-G = will have to look it up.