Mud fever and turnout

Richards2000

New User
Visit site
Hi guys,

My gelding has got slight/mild mud fever. It’s mostly gone, he has been kept in for a week however he is going out of his mind. Do you think I could turn him out with turnout boots on?
Thankyou 🙂

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I find barrier cream ends up just sealing in any bacteria and the mud fever spreads, I use a barrier powder either the Lincoln or keratex one, I just cover the area and rub into the skin everyday I don't ever wash it either I started doing this in November and my horse only has one tiny patch on one back heal this year.

Love

Visit site
I had to deal with mud fever for the first time this year. I planned to keep mine in for a week to get on top of it by treating with silver salve daily (weather was poo anyway) but after 4 days he started practising his acrobatics around the stable. It had cleared up a lot in that time but wasn't fully gone. I slathered him in udder cream as a barrier and turned him out anyway and it continued to improve thankfully. I only need to apply it twice a week and any patches that do creep back (only had the tiniest patch return) I treat with silver salve

One thing I will mention that I discovered when researching mud fever this year is that there are 1000 different people dealing with it in 1000 different ways. What works for one absolutely doesn't work for another. So a bit of trial and error really

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Yes I don’t see why not. If it’s anything like where we are the ground has dried out quite a lot at the moment (but we are forecast more rain towards the end of the week). I use Fungatrol on mine and it repels the mud too.

Darkstar11

Visit site
I cover mine in Aromaheel and turn her out. It seems to work really well at treating small patches and preventing new ones. I haven’t bothered with boots. Just something else to lose in the field. Have been able to stay on top of the patches with just the cream. Surprising given her field is part bog, part lake.

Spirit7

Visit site
Flamazine applied to dry as possible legs if you can stable overnight has always worked for me within a few days if you catch it early.