mud fever, arghhhhh

impresario08

Visit site
anyone really suffering this year? My boy was ok with his last year but this year it's hot and swollen, I think where it's been so wet it's causing him some bother :(

(yes I will get vet if needed) any management/recovery tips?

Auslander

Visit site
I don't mess around if the legs are hot/swollen. My vet prescribes Flamazine with Synulox mixed in, which I apply thickly, wrap with cling film, bandage, and leave overnight to soften the scabs and start to deal with the bugs. I keep doing this until the scabs slide off without me picking at them, then do one more night of dry bandages over Flam, before taking the bandages off and letting some air get to his legs. He stays in the pen until his legs are scab-free and no longer irritated.
I try not to wash, but if I have to - I use Coatex, which you can get from Amazon. It's really good for gently de-scabbing and calming down angry skin

impresario08

Visit site
I don't mess around if the legs are hot/swollen. My vet prescribes Flamazine with Synulox mixed in, which I apply thickly, wrap with cling film, bandage, and leave overnight to soften the scabs and start to deal with the bugs. I keep doing this until the scabs slide off without me picking at them, then do one more night of dry bandages over Flam, before taking the bandages off and letting some air get to his legs. He stays in the pen until his legs are scab-free and no longer irritated.
I try not to wash, but if I have to - I use Coatex, which you can get from Amazon. It's really good for gently de-scabbing and calming down angry skin

fab, thank you

HashRouge

Visit site
Yes, hot and swollen suggests you may need a course of antibiotics, or at the very least a medicated cream (as Auslander suggests). Also get the horse out of the mud, whether that means leaving in for a bit or moving to a different field. I had trouble with mud rash this year after several years without issues and I do think it has been far wetter than usual. I managed to get my two moved to a much drier field (they live out) and was using malaseb shampoo and sudocreme on the one with mud rash. Her legs were never hot and swollen though, just scabby. Most of the mud rash healed up quickly, but she had two patches on one leg that weren't going and were still sore after two weeks in the new field. I had the vet out for jabs so he gave me some medicated cream and I used it to poultice the problem leg. I used animalintex and vet wrap. After one day most of the scabs had gone so I did one more day, then just applied cream and left the leg uncovered. That was a week ago and everything is now healing very nicely, so I suspect those scabs had just become slightly infected. My vet wanted me to bring her in as I don't think he really believed me that their new field is nice and mud free, but I don't have stables so I just had to work with what I have!

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Once you get it under control pig oil is fab as a barrier coat the legs from knee hock down.
We used to put in a spray bottle and spray on but can use a sponge as well