mud fever help again!!

pixiebee

Visit site
ok-my pony has mud fever, a crack in the bend just under his fetlock. not deep but sore. I put pevidine weak solution to wash it and then dry it and apply sudocreme. He isnt lame on it however it does swell when standing still. Whats best way or treating it ie bandaging?????? he is kept in now and is put in the horsewalker twice daily and riddne to keep swelling down. Should he have rest or should i keep riding him?? help please as ive been given conflicting advice!
confused.gif

sevenoceans

Visit site
Well what happened to my horse is that he got it from the rain not mud!! warm and moist which bacteria loves... so at the moment i am just applying sudocreme and scrap the scabs off when it's ready to come off and just keep applying sudo creme... seems to have worked so far... i did go to hosing, cleaning etc but it had made it worse... He got it from the heel to top of cannon bone on both hind legs (that is bad!!)
Strangely enough he hasn't got any on front legs... he got it bad last year (touches wood!)

Although he's swollen on his hind legs but not lame and i still ride him.. would bandage it (i don't cos he's on part livery and i don't trust them with bandages) Bandage would keep legs warm and dry also benifical for swollen legs...

flyingfeet

Visit site
I had nasty scabs all in and around the heel of a hind leg

I used neoprene pastern wraps 24/7 to get rid of the scabs. Now back to pink skin with hair growing.

However now scuppered as just put a load of sand and gravel down near the water trough and have to remove wrap in case the sand gets in and makes it sore.

I haven't got a plan B yet, but if you are not on sand the wrap plus anitbacterial treatment work really well (note I was cheating and using dermobion)

sevenoceans

Visit site
I did have leg wraps on him last year and it made it worse... to the point i had to get the vet out, he was on anti bios for 2 weeks! also on box rest until it cleared up which took 4 weeks... glad and touch the wood this year it's under control with just sudocream...

oh he's also on Global Mud X

pixiebee

Visit site
had a look at those neoprene wraps, look quite good, are they any different to using bandages? thing is im not confident at bandaging really!! i dont want to make it worse, equally i want to make it better!!! im just praying he doesnt go lame with it as otherwise he will have to stay in 24/7 and i dont want the swelling to get worse or him to stiffen! forgot to add, how do i bandage the swollen leg, do i execise him to get the swelling down then do it, same question with the neoprene wraps??? soooo confusing!!

pagancluf

Visit site
This was my nightmare last year! Could not get rid to put neoprene wraps on and could not put wraps on with sore leg due to rubbing - so tried mud guard in the feed and it went away within 2 weeks - GONE!
shocked.gif
everything - so when the weather gets muddy start putting NAF mud guard in feed and it has stopped it from coming back - even though he had a cut to fetlock area - this healed and STILL no mud fever, I swear by this stuff and farriers formula as had bad feet anyway.
smile.gif
Hope this helps?

sevenoceans

Visit site
Buck got 4 white socks up to his knees/hocks and is prone to mud fever. He was very lame last year, he contracted serious infection... Hasn't got any this year i hope! It's very rare to happen I was fool to listen other people's advice but this year i am on my own and i am not listening anyone... seems to be better this year... you don't have to take my advice.... this is guidelines to help you if u need them...

As for Neoprene wraps it tend to get grits down inside them if you turn them out in it and they rub the affected areas hence makes it worse... also unless u have central heating it takes ages to dry, I don't think these will help with swellings. It's ok for those who haven't got mudfever yet..

As for bandages why not try thermatex leg wraps in the stable it will keep it warm but it will not keep the swelling down.

If you really want to keep swelling down, Wrap gamgee for each leg and roll (don't pull) the banadges around downwards then back up like normal stable bandaging. use on both legs rather just the swollen leg.

U don't necessarily need to ride to get swelling down for the banadges, u can put banadges on when you have put him in stable... bearing in mind, take them off after overnight hours then reapply if you intend to keep him in during the day...

I am trying Buck on global mud X this year

let me know how you get on

Honeyb060674

Visit site
Bearing in mind that the mud fever bacteria thrives in conditions that are damp and warm. I personally wouldn't bandage. The legs need as much air to them as possible. Stopped washing/hosing altogether during the winter as this seemed to make it worse. Just brush off mud when it dries and applied a tea tree based cream, which has antibac properties.