Mud fever supplement???

TallulahBright

Visit site
Has anyone used a supplement which actually prevents mud fever? I've seen loads advertised but money is short and i don't want to fork out for something which is ineffective. Advice gratefully received- thanks from Mum of a pink skinned white legged skewbald TB!!

Archiepoo

Visit site
i always use turnout boots (equichaps) and theyre a one off purchase and really work, heard good things about keratex powder .x

DougalJ

Visit site
Personally I would waste your money on supplements. I have been battling mud fever with my gelding for 7 years now and spent way too much on supplements that do not work. Keratex disinfectant and powder are great and maintenance is the key. I am however going to look into homeopathic treatments this winter as had good results with other ailments.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Agree with extra vit e from various sources as posted by MrsD, zinc and copper are important for skin. Also, don't feed to much starch/carbs in my view.

I have taken advice from Evelyn off of here and recommended Nizoral shampoo for my friends two who have mf... all ok after two weeks as described! I also put a copper/mag lick in the field (laminaze and normal copper block).

I have used homeopathy as a last resort for my own horse two years ago... also brilliant results and none since (fingers x'd!) but diet has also changed to a more mineral/vit balanced one i.e. over supplementing can also cause harm so be careful what you use... look into vit/min balancing according to current diet and cut out starch as much as poss.

DougalJ

Visit site
Agree with extra vit e from various sources as posted by MrsD, zinc and copper are important for skin. Also, don't feed to much starch/carbs in my view.

I have taken advice from Evelyn off of here and recommended Nizoral shampoo for my friends two who have mf... all ok after two weeks as described! I also put a copper/mag lick in the field (laminaze and normal copper block).

I have used homeopathy as a last resort for my own horse two years ago... also brilliant results and none since (fingers x'd!) but diet has also changed to a more mineral/vit balanced one i.e. over supplementing can also cause harm so be careful what you use... look into vit/min balancing according to current diet and cut out starch as much as poss.

Can you let me know what homeopathic treatment you used?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Can you let me know what homeopathic treatment you used?

Week one: Calc carb 3 x3 per day for three days

Week two: Petroleum 3 x3 per day for three days

Week three: Rhus tox 3 x3 per day for three days

I didn't get as far as rhus tox... it had cleared by day two of petroleum.

Call Ainsworths as they have a dedicated equine homeopaths that can talk through symptoms.

www.ainsworths.co.uk

horselover68

Visit site
Hi I also own a pink skinned skewbald who is WB X and have had mud fever so bad resulted in vet call out :eek:(

I have tried various supps without success but a girl at saddlery recommended Immune-X by Global Herbs which is supposed to be good but I never used it as you are supposed to feed it twice a day and mine can only be fed once a day. Also been told about Pig Oil & Sulphur (its recommended for cobs but loads of people I know have had success with it, you can order online from sussex cobs) so am going to give that a try but make sure you do a patch test first as some horses can have a reaction. Also Udder cream as a barrier cream is another. Just make sure you don't end up washing legs each time you bring in and ideally leave to dry and brush any mud off as overzealous washing has the opposite effect!

Good luck with it as know how horrendous it is, here's hoping for a drier winter!