Mud fever...

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace has really bad mud fever... it has come very and is causing her back legs to swell. I have plastered her in Zinc and Castor oil this morning and put her out (she has lived out 24/7 before coming to me and she is only 5)...

Does anyone have any good suggestions of what I should do next with her legs? I don't want to keep her in really as she is in every other day and is only a baby so I don't want to tip her over the edge.

Thanks,

Rebecca

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Barrier lotions like you are doing - whatever you do don't wash the legs.

If they are swelling badly you may have gone past the point of no return and need to get some antibiotics from the vet.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I second Amymay. You can also use Protocon, that is brilliant stuff. Plaster it on first and don't remove. After a couple of days you'll be able to gently wipe/rub some of the scabs off (some people bandage in clingfilm but you can't really do this if she is out 27/7) repeat as long as it takes, all the while keeping a barrier cream on too. When it's better keep using the barrier cream (udder cream is quick to apply)

Eliza120280

Visit site
I use Gold Label leg guard or mud guard (cant remember what its called, its white stuff in either a lotion or spray). This is a good preventative for my horse but he only gets mud fever very mildly on only his one white leg! That has worked for the last two winters - he hasnt had mud fever at all. The last time he got it before using the Gold Label stuff, I treated it with Protocon and it worked well x

SilverSkye

Visit site
If you could bring her in then i use sudacream then clingfilm then vetwrap leave for 24 hours and when you take it off all the scabs are gone. then loads of udder cream to stop the mud getting to it. although if it is starting to swell i think you might be needing a dose of antibiotics.
Hopefully the weather will be kind and dry for a couple of weeks and you can get it cleared

pagancluf

Visit site
I swear by Mud Guard food supplement - my boy had it bad last year and have put in his feed since mud started toshow and he is a ok - nothing! Expensive as another supplement but worth it!! Good luck.

parsley

Visit site
My boy had dreadful mudfever and it was getting worse, so I called the vet. He had a look at put him on the following regime everyday
wash legs with a mixture of hibiscrub and water 50/50 mix - use the hibiscrub like a shampoo
leave for 10 to 15 mins
rinse legs and dry
apply flamazine

every third day apply dermisol, wrap legs in cling film and bandage. Leave overnight
remove, wash etc.

It is working - there are no new outbreaks and the stuff that is there is getting better. But be warned the washing drying etc takes about an hour a day