mud rant - upset UPDATE am being REPORTED!

cobface

Visit site
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5393827/an/0/page/4#5393827

Following on from yesterdays post..........
Someone rode past my field whilst i was bringing big mare in and told me am getting reported!! apparently they over heard someone from the livery yard saying they where reporting me as the ponies were standing in mud all day! the first 2 metres by the gateway is muddy - about 4 inches deep but not clogging mud, just surface really and the bottom of the field hasnt any and has grass coming through?? the ponies have half bale hay between them per day (they leave most) and have fresh water all the time.........whats there problem???? neither have mud rash and there not thin!!!!
who are they likely to report me too then???
mad.gif
cause thier seriously wasting there time
mad.gif

anyone else being reported for there ponies out 24/7 through winter???

lady_annabelle

Visit site
don't worry about it i am sure they would look see them both and think what a waste of time being called to check on two healthy horses
smile.gif

wouldn't put it past a guy on my yard who kept telling me how cruel i am having mine out i just pointed out her leg has improved and she hasn't got dandruff now
smile.gif
unlike his who are stuck in 24/7.
its also only two of them on twelve acres and they are quite chubby

savannahmelody

Visit site
You have my sympathy it must be soo frustrating however I wouldnt worry to much about being reported as from what you have said there is nothing wrong with your ponies and you are just in the same situation as so many of us and any authority you may be reported to will know that.
I have two fat hairy, filthy, section a ponies at the moment whos field is a complete bog,however I am sure that no matter how disgusting they and the ground may look they are much happier being out all day in it with their haynets than being stood in stables.

Lollii

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it too much, if as you say your horses have food, water & shelter and they are fit, healthy and looked after there is nothing to report, in fact they should be warned for wasting rspca's time ... horrible for you I know, but try not to worry
tongue.gif

cobface

Visit site
I did have electric tape across but TBH it caused that many injurys with th TB (whos kept in at night and out in the day) i done away with it, besides the ponies have no respect for it and just run through it anyway often dragging poles in all behind them.
Just peeved off that they have reported me rather than seeing me face to face - cowards.
Looks like the whole livery yard have been bitching about me, wouldnt mind but i actually look after my horses my self, not pay someone else £200 plus per week to look after them for me!!! they just turn up and ride, havent a clue what real horse care and muddy fields are about!

Shall i write a sign up by the gate -

PLEASE NOTE!!!
THESE PONIES ARE SEEN TO TWICE PER DAY, THEY ARE FED AND WATERED AND DESPITE IT BEING RELATIVELY DRY AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FIELD THEY LIKE TO STAND AT THE TOP IN THE MUD, WHY??? I DON'T KNOW, BUT WHAT I DO KNOW IS THEY ARE HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND HAVE NO MUD RASH ETC......
SO, IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM PLEASE COME AND SEE ME OR ALTERNATIVELY YOU CAN RING ME ON 0**********
THANKS XXXX

Biscuit

Visit site
I understand that you are upset, I think it is a lot nicer when people say things directly as well.

Do you think it might it be possible to drain the area around the gate better, by digging out a ditch & get hold of a load of gravel?

If you don't have a hardstanding area in the field, it may be something to consider as well.

See point 1.4 in this DEFRA code of practice for horses:

"In muddy conditions it is important that a horse has an adequately sized, well-drained area in the pasture on which to stand and lie down, and on which to be fed and watered."

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/cruelty/documents/cop-horse.pdf

Further, see this note:

"Although it will not be an offence to fail to comply with the Codes of Practice they could be used as evidence in court to support a case of poor welfare brought under the Animal Welfare Act which may lead to a prosecution for animal cruelty." http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2009/091208a.htm

On a side note, please don't have a go at people who pay others to look after their horses, there is nothing wrong in that?

Tinypony

Visit site
If there's a well-drained area do they stand on it? No, they go and stand in the mud. Sleeping. Which makes passers-by make pointed comments about how "depressed" they look.
I battled in the gale and sleet yesterday getting two round bales dumped on to the well-drained and best sheltered part of my field. What did my lot do? Stand at the top, by the gate, in the mud, looking miserable.
I'd wait and see what happens and try to stay calm. If the welfare agencies can't remove a starving little colt with no hay and water from a field, they are hardly going to cause you a problem are they?
Digging ditches and putting in gravel or suchlike is a good idea if you own the land. I pay too much livery to be able to afford to do that in my field though.

cobface

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that you are upset, I think it is a lot nicer when people say things directly as well.

Do you think it might it be possible to drain the area around the gate better, by digging out a ditch & get hold of a load of gravel?

If you don't have a hardstanding area in the field, it may be something to consider as well.

"In muddy conditions it is important that a horse has an adequately sized, well-drained area in the pasture on which to stand and lie down, and on which to be fed and watered."

Further, see this note:

"Although it will not be an offence to fail to comply with the Codes of Practice they could be used as evidence in court to support a case of poor welfare brought under the Animal Welfare Act which may lead to a prosecution for animal cruelty." http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2009/091208a.htm

On a side note, please don't have a go at people who pay others to look after their horses, there is nothing wrong in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't any mud down the bottom, they still have grass to nibble at, the ground is just wet there but not sinking mud. (can still see there hooves arnt submerged)

And sorry, about the comment with people who have their horses on livery - am talking about a minority
smile.gif

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
There are some oddballs about. I think they have nothing better to do than go around looking for things to complain about. The Victor Meldrew Syndrome. They tend to be of a certain age and at a loss to what to fill their time with.
i wouldn't sweat it - if they report you to the powers that be, it will be a complete waste of everyones time and you will be vindicated.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Defra can shove their advice up their..........................

Men in suits having zero practical experience of dealing with livestock in what has been the worst weather Britain has seen in 30 years.

Irishcobs

Visit site
My 2 cobs are out 24/7 in pure, wet mud. They get food and hay twice a day and we have just put up a field shelter, not that they use it!
One is fully clipped and rugged accordingly the other was high trace clipped (nearly grown out) and is naked. The naked horse is as fat as a house, he also coughs.
Maybe someone should report me!

Biscuit

Visit site
I was not suggesting that the OP did something wrong or would get in trouble. I just thought it may be helpful to point her in the direction of the DEFRA code.

I only had a quick look at the DEFRA code and I don't have any experience with them, but at first glance the code seems to contain lots of pretty good, common sense guidelines. It would appear their code of conduct is a result of consultation with other organization & the public - so if you think it does not provide sound advice then why not keep an eye out for their next consultation, and provide input :)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
ignore them, dont bother with the notice, as long as you know in your heart that the horses have good conditions and are well and happy then just ignore them, they will be the ones who have egg on their face if an inspector visits and compliments you on their condition.

Agree horses asleep very often look like worn out lame old crocks, its something to do with the posture and hanging head, the wobbling lower lip doesnt help :)

really I wouldnt put a notice up as its engaging them as tho their view has some merit.

rascal

Visit site
We havnt been reported but we do know people who think its cruel to leave your horse out 24/7!! Usually novices i have to say. The people who rode our pony were always leaving the horses in the stables, usually with no food, water or bedding for hours at a time, i thought that was cruel!!

horsesfornow

Visit site
Why don't they report most of us!! I mean it’s been the worst winter in 30 years.

What about horses that are kept in stables 24/7, shouldn't they be reported!!!

Biscuit

Visit site
People do seem to get reported for the strangest things, judging from some of the posts on this forum. A lot of the time it does seem like people who have never kept horses just have weird ideas. On the other hand, there are also posts from people who appear to have lots of experience about what seems like genuine welfare concerns, like horses that don't have water or food, but in those cases it seems that it is hard to get anything done about it. (They are probably too busy with the first type of inquiry?) Sad really.

cobface

Visit site
Okay so who am i likely to encounter in the next few days then.......
On another note - i have asked a relative (who is fussy) if i can used there 1 acre plot until the end of April whilst my field rests - and we can have a chance to harrow and roll before the summer.
Just waiting on their reply.........fingers crossed. The plot has been well rested and is not far from where they are kept now.....roll on summer, having stables erected and a yard this year and a proper shelter (at the moment they have heavy thick hedges and an oak tree)

cobface

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse would swap his stable for mud any day!
Good for you for not constantly washing legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my mums great tip! she has kept her horses out for over 12 years and never ever had they suffered from mud rash.....my little cobby has 4 white legs and very pink skin but no sign of any mud rash atal....had a good look today, the mud had dried
smile.gif
because in fact they are not knee deep as some people like to think they are *rolls eyes* i lifted all her feathers (she has hairy legs) and studied her four legs really well, nothing but pink healthy skin, no scabs, tufts of har coming out etc.........infact the inner hair was dry!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Isn't it crazy?! I'm not surprised you're upset - i would be too and bloomin furious. Why don't people complain about horses that are kept in stables 23 hours of the day? That's far worse for the welfare of the horse than being out in a bit of mud. Grrrrr... gets me so angry. You have my greatest sympathy for having such brain dead snoopers near you.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
How ridiculous that someone should report such a thing when there is real cruelty out there, I should think who ever they try and report you too will feel its a wasted trip iff they do turn up! How flipping ridiculous, I am angry for you
mad.gif

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
yes i have been reported for too much mud/ naked in snow/horse bondage! (dont ask) but as i noticed someone posted a link to my post about the naked in the snow one further up.

dont worry too much, when the officer comes down & leaves a notice on gate to get in touch just have a chat with them.

D

Donkeymad

Don't worry, we've got an old busy body who knows nothing about horses constantly reporting ourselves and others, only for the investigators to end up laughing at her stupidity.
grin.gif

cobface

Visit site
Thanks everyone, i feel better now
smile.gif

just had a good chat with a good friend who keeps her horse at said livery yard, she said the lady who told me about the reporting is a rude, interfering gossip and a trouble maker! makes sense now.......i shall rise above it all and carry on caring and feeding my little gems
smile.gif

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Further, see this note:

[/ QUOTE ]

See, where my boy is at the moment the WHOLE field was mud and boggy, not a dry bit anywhere for them to stand or lie on. This is at a riding school and everyone told me that it was normal at the moment!

Tinypony

Visit site
Unless you get some contact, or maybe a note on the gate, they haven't reported you to anyone.
Apparently a passer-by reported some horses and ponies near me, and I can understand why. Each one living in a tiny mud patch, alone, only one has a shelter. Rugs never moved, headcollars either too big or too small, dangerous rubbish in the fields. However, irate owner was pleased to report that WHW did nothing, as they have hay and water. So really I wouldn't worry too much.