Mud rash poll

Are you worried about the level of your debt on cards?

• Total voters

_jetset_

Visit site
My mare has got bad mush rash (on one of her white back legs mainly) and it is weaping and smelly
tongue.gif

So, tomorrow they should be out and I am worried about keeping her in because she is used to being out 24/7 before she came to me and they are only out every other day as it is.

But, in my opinion, if she stayed in tomorrow and then Friday I might be able to get on top of the mud rash... I have just bought some Keratex Mud Powder which is like a talc and is a disinfectant and a waterproof barrier. I have put that on tonight.

So the poll is:

debonhorse

Visit site
I think if she is used to being out 24/7 and then restricted right down to staying in 4 days in a row, she will probably get stressed. I have used that powder and never really found it that good, I use udder cream it is brilliant. I dont wash legs everyday, unless I can dry with a hair dryer, as the damp makes it worse, just once every 4 days or so, If the scabs come off easily then I take them off, then as much udder cream as I can get on. It gives such a good barrier to the wet, nothing gets through!!
Good Luck with what you decide.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
My boy suffered terribly last year. I used to bring him to the corral each night, wash the affected area with Hibiscrub solution, dry it off totally and cover with Udder cream, within a couple of days it was starting to clear up. It is really dry here and not sure if you have rain or mud but being out I think is better, just my opinion though

_jetset_

Visit site
It's very muddy at the gate and she is coming in with a lot of mud on her legs...

She has been staying in every other day, and seems to be getting used to tha routine, so it is not as if she will be going from 24/7 to nothing at all.

Chex

Visit site
I have the keratex powder. I got it because I kept reading that using creams would soften the skin and make it worse. I didn't really notice much of a difference using the powder though!

Bess

Visit site
The Keratex mud powder is supposed to be a preventative measure, imo it will not cure or help mud rash that is already there. You still have to take all the usual measures once its already there.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
It might be better to keep her in for the day and night and reassess how she is after that. If she is looking better then it might be worth fencing off the gate area so she can;t get covered in mud, smother her legs in udder cream and put her out for the day, she how she goes and again reassess when she comes in?

debonhorse

Visit site
I agree she isnt going from 24/7 to nothing, but if she dosnt go out tomorrow, and Fri, I take it the next day would be Sunday(if every other day) you sounded worried about keeping her in, so I think 4 days would be a bit much for both of you. Just IMO.

Suggestion.. Not sure if you are in a position to do this or not, but I had the same problem, with mud at the gate, so We went to our local builders yard and bought a few bags of quarry sand(very cheap) its the same as they use on X/c courses either side of the jumps. we chucked it on the mud and trampled it in. We have hardly had a problem with mud since. (a very cheap alternative to concrete LOL)

Nari

Visit site
I'd keep her in, if you've got somewhere dry like a school to turn her out for an hour or so then great but if not either take her for a short roadwork hack or even just lead her round the yard for a while to stretch her legs.

If her mud fever is as bad as it sounds I'd speak to the vet as they should be able to give you some antibiotic cream & possible some antibiotics to put in her feed. It sounds like it's infected so will probably need a bit more than the lotions & potions you can buy in tack shops.

_jetset_

Visit site
I think it is going to require the vet if it is no better tomorrow... there is an improvement from yesterday, but I would like a bigger one than that.

I just didn't catch it on time... I usually do with my other horse, but with my new one it just came on all of a sudden

pixiebee

Visit site
ive got keratex powder, works very well, my pony had a big crack that was weeping and sore and i have kept him in, kept the legs dry, only wash if i cant get the scabs off, then chuck a load of keratex on. within a week its healed up and there is only a 5 pence piece thats left to heal. supprised nobody else thaught it works!!!!!!!!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... there are a few people on my yard that have used it and it worked well for them. Glad to hear it worked for you... there is hope for Grace yet then!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
The best method I have found is to wash the area with diluted hibiscrub, pat dry then smother with any basic cream such as sudocrem, cover with clingfilm to exclude the air and apply a sticky bandage. leave on for 36 hours then remove, and you should have most of the scabs on the cream not her leg. Repeat until clean skin , then allow to dry with keratex. If it's smelly you probably need a course of anti biotics, you can tell if it stays swollen.
She is better off outside moving unless she is actually wading through more mud. keeping her in will make the leg swell even more.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I have to agree with henryhorn, my friend has used this method and has worked really well for her TB. Have you thought about camrosa? You can get a starter pack that includes shampoo and ointment plus the ointment is waterproof too so it would act as a barrier for when you turnout.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have you had the vet?? Sounds like it's time for some antibiotics.

I would still put her out - absolutely covering the area with either udder cream or vaseline. But it certainly sounds like your now at the stage where you are going to need a little veterinary assistance before you run in to real trouble.

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
I use the Keratex as a preventative on my cob, he used to get mud fever quite bad, I found the lotions no good but the Keratex Powder worked, once they have mud fever though you are best to keep them on dry land (no muddy/wet paddocks until it's healed), then start using the powder.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I had run out of Sudocream so tried Naf MSM ointment instead. Its much more sticky than sudocream and its pulled off most of my horses scabs which is pretty good.

(Although could be a result of being in at night and the dry weather)