Mud rash questions!

Elsiecat

Visit site
Foxy has mud rash, fantastic!
Her legs around it feel warm - could this be connected?
I've trotted her and watched her move around and she definitely isn't lame or anything.
The heat is just around the rashes and doesn't extend to her hooves.

Any tips for getting rid of mud fever effectively?

ThePony

Visit site
Mud fever can def cause heat in the surrounding tissues.

We wash once, thoroughly with hibi scrub and warm water, rinse well. Then spray with hypo care or vetrycin then slather over veg oil. Ideally avoid turnout if it is very wet - do you have a dry yard you could restrict her to until it clears up? Each morning we then spritz again with hypo care and wipe over more oil to keep any damp out (ours are yarded but it is still wet and splashy - no let up at the moment!). Def avoid repeated washing, you really need to help the skin regain it's own barrier so wash once and well, then let the skin do it's thing. We've also upped her micro linseed - seems to help aswell. Hopefully it should be noticeably better after 24 hrs, and practically gone in a week.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Mud fever can def cause heat in the surrounding tissues.

We wash once, thoroughly with hibi scrub and warm water, rinse well. Then spray with hypo care or vetrycin then slather over veg oil. Ideally avoid turnout if it is very wet - do you have a dry yard you could restrict her to until it clears up? Each morning we then spritz again with hypo care and wipe over more oil to keep any damp out (ours are yarded but it is still wet and splashy - no let up at the moment!). Def avoid repeated washing, you really need to help the skin regain it's own barrier so wash once and well, then let the skin do it's thing. We've also upped her micro linseed - seems to help aswell. Hopefully it should be noticeably better after 24 hrs, and practically gone in a week.

I was unsure what to do tonight so I washed it with hot water and some purple spray and got the scabs off and put her back in her stable. Unfortunately no dry yard but will nip out in the morning and pick up everything you mentioned!

Thanks for confirming about the heat I was getting into a flap about it! :rolleyes:

magichorse

Visit site
Aromaheel is great stuff, my lad had mud rash for over a year (even in summer) and we tried everything but this was the only thing that'd work. You buy it online- google aromaheel. Good luck!

ThePony

Visit site
it really can get quite warm, but if she is sound then I wouldn't worry about it being anything else. I would rub the scabs off when you pop oil on if they feel like they want to, but def not forcefully pick them off. When they are done they'll come away, you just don't want to damage any healing skin.
Dry yard was a bit hopeful, don't think there is a spot of dry land anywhere atm lol, but may as well write for the ideal!

erwina

Visit site
Another ailment I can add to my already mounting list atm. My little dun cob has mud fever on his back leg, think it is due to self mutilation, he has sweetitch and bites his legs . Had been out to a very wet muck field for a week and possibly a little cut got infected and leg is now covered in mudfever.this is his first time ever to get it. Put on sudocream and now scabs are lifting off with all the hair on his leg with it
Any advise would be appreciated. Have a tub of aromaheel ordered