Muddy Legs

If you could, what would you change?

• Total voters

maddielove

Visit site
i normally wash off around the hooves when their muddy, and leave the rest of the mud on the leg to dry up, then brush it off.
with dry mud..it's easier to brush it off with a dandy brush than try and was it off cause you end up with muddy mush!

Pidge

Visit site
If wet and muddy I do nothing other than check with a torch he has no nicks or cuts. When dry I thoroughly brush his legs and check them over. Touch wood we have had no mud fever despite the fact our fields get very muddy! I know he has had mud fever before as when I bought him at the end of May last year he had a big scab still on one of his back legs - and yes he has white legs. I was always told that by wetting the legs you make the skin more permeable and the bacteria then gets in, so was advised to leave well alone when wet.

Nari

Visit site
Wet muddy legs I hose because clean wet legs dry faster & any bacteria in the mud is washed away too. I never brush muddy legs in case I scratch the skin but if the mud is dry I gently rub it off with my fingers

Malibu

Visit site
mine alwasy get their legs washed and brushed and hooves picked out after they have come in form field before going into stables, the i check for any dry skin and cuts etc, if so the cream comes out! I do this though as they all ahve stble quilts and bandages on at night and also usally worked after coming in so will have bandages and boots on and dont want anything rubbing against leg ie dirt, stones etc which have got caught in field boots!

sevenoceans

Visit site
Didn't vote as mud fever got there before the mud!! he's on hibscrub, towel dry, cream routine at the moment... once it has cleared up it will be un touched and bushed when dry

filly190

Visit site
My mare gets mud fever (even in summer and no mud!) So in the winter I use the (forgot brand name) anti mud fever boots which are worn for turnout. They work for her. In the summer when she gets it, I am scratching my head wondering why, I would'nt like to use the boots in the summer. Its always on her white leg.

patchandloopy

Visit site
Wash wet, brush dry mud, pick out feet, then rug up and put to bed!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mine alwasy get their legs washed and brushed and hooves picked out after they have come in form field before going into stables, the i check for any dry skin and cuts etc, if so the cream comes out! I do this though as they all ahve stble quilts and bandages on at night and also usally worked after coming in so will have bandages and boots on and dont want anything rubbing against leg ie dirt, stones etc which have got caught in field boots!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto this

my horse gets her legs washed (with shampoo) everytime she comes in from the field as she sleeps in stable bandages so legs have to be cleaned and is often exersiced after turnout so again has bandages on (in this case legs are cleaned again after ex. ready for bed). she's never out when it's dark though (only out for one hour each morning) and i can imagine it would be a pain with a torch etc as someone above mentioned.

I too, have never had a horse get mud fever......it would be pretty much impossible i suppose as her legs are washed after each time she has left the stable practically!!!!!!

Parkranger

Visit site
I always groom Ty when he comes in (inc. dry mud) and he tends to come in 2 hours before I get down to the yard so is usually dry before he gets groomed.

Also pick out his feet everyday or we get a little funky in the foot area!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I put other as my boys have their legs coated in pig oil and sulphur and a lot of feather. Unless doing something that requires looking smart they never have their legs washed out in the winter.

I leave them to dry off - the hair is sealed with the oil and the skin is clean and dry underneath. I maybe will just wash the hooves and the very ends of the hair if really clogged.

Once a week when dry, comb out the mud and reapply oil and sulphur - works so well - no mud fever, mites etc and in the spring, several washes with hot water and fairy liquid and then soap flakes and they are white and fluffy ready for showing.

RobinHood

Visit site
My horse's legs usually have a bit of dry mud on the fetlock (we have hard standing by the gates) so I brush that off and pop his stable bandages on. I always watch other liveries getting their horses in from the near fields with wet clay up to their knees and it makes the long walk to the far field worthwhile
laugh.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
I just leace. It all clumps together on her feathers and falls off when it is dry. It seems to work as I have never had a horse with mud fever.

sojeph

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 whatever the weather so if they have wet muddy legs theres nothing I can do about it. in fact mine never get brushed below the knee - ever!!LOL!! Never had mud fever.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I leave wet mud well alone unless i have to hose them down to put boots on (but horses get brought in before i get there though so mud is usually dry by then) but i do brush the dry mud off.

I have never had a horse suffer from mud fever either (touch wood).