Muffins first indoor party

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Because for the weather yesterday we went indoors for the first time. Five horses in a small indoor all milling around. He was very unsettled, but he didn't do anything nasty. I've done a short clip which is pretty representative, Trying not to show too much of other people who might not want to be on HHO!

I was very pleased with him, many green ex racers would have had serious problems with being put in that situation. He also travelled a lot more quietly, thank goodness, because he used to drive us crazy kicking, stomping and screaming.

I'm concerned that his improvement has plateaued in the last month, that he consistently starts schooling sessions either unable or unwillingly to bend left, and that when he is tense, his tuber sacrale rise on his bum giving every impression of a horse which has had sacroiliac issues in the past. He's such a gentle beast who doesn't seem to like to make much fuss about anything, except being brushed, which he hates, and having his ears touched, which he won't stand at all. So I have agreed today with my vet that we will do a week trial on Bute, and if that produces any change, to x-ray his neck, where I think the stiffness is coming from and give him a check over for back end issues. I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with him, he's lovely once he's warmed up and he hacks well, but I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Bute trial today after two days is inconclusive. He was 'different' , not 'better', and in a way that might have been the weather and not the Bute. Five more days to go to see

My gut reaction is that his issues are training/mechanical and not a fixable injury.

HashRouge

Visit site
He's a beautiful horse, but I agree does look a bit stiff. I'd be interested to see how your bute trial progresses. I think sometimes it can take a day or two before you notice the difference with bute.

ycbm

Visit site
He was very, very tense at being indoors with four other horses. I was happy he didn't explode, so I wasn't going to send him forward.

But he does take more time than I am happy with to warm up at home. He's such a gentle creature that I want to be sure that he's not in pain. Then I will know that 'all' I'm dealing with is him having spent the last five of his eight years doing stuff I have to undo before we can progress much.

I rode both horses today. Ludo is so wiggly it's a huge effort just to get him straight. Muffin is so locked in the shoulders it's a huge effort just to get him free. There couldn't be more of a contrast between them.

Variety is the spice of life :)

ycbm

Visit site
He's extremely stressed by being indoors for the first time with four other horses in a small arena with water cascading down the length of one of the sides. I was glad he didn't explode, I wasnt worrying about him being hollow.

Bernster

Visit site
Hope you get some answers that will help but def seems like a good idea to check, as hopefully that will help with the rest of his training. I do think it’s hard to tell at times whether it’s tension, schooling, strength etc or something that needs treatment.

Trouper

Visit site
Having twice gone down the road with horses who did not respond to traditional vet assessment and chiropractor treatment, the one person who analysed everything (including diet) in a single visit was Tom Beech, the Osteopathic Vet.
He is not cheap (nor quick to book!) but the time and stress he saves by identifying the issues quickly - to say nothing of the benefit to the horse - is worth everything. Just a thought.