Multisystemic eosinophilic epitheliotrophic disease (MEED)

Fairynuff

Visit site
Ive heard of one case but have never seen it in all my years (thankfully) The horse was euthanised as his liver and pancreas were badly damaged. Antibiotics and cortisones had very little effect but as far as I know the horse had suffered for quite some time before a correct diagnosis was given.

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Thank you for the reply.
My boy was diagnosed early just as his liver started to be affected by my brilliant vet. He responded well to a long course of steroids and we are now 3 year's on. He is in light work but I am careful about the level of work and the feed he gets.
I think we have been lucky so far and hope it continues ��

Fairynuff

Visit site
glad to hear this ! It must have been a harrowing time for you. What feed do you give him and why ? It's a condition I hope I never have to deal with but am curious as to how it began in your boy, if the vet diagnosed it immediately etc. :)

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Long story. He initially presented with ulcers round all 4 correnets, sadly my vet was on maternity leave, the vet attending was at a bit of a loss so decided that he had laminitis and his pedal bone had rotated. I did not really see it as ex racehorse - flat feet! But ulcers cleared I changed my feeding to Thunderbrook which is forage based organic, no chemicals. He got a bit better then dropped condition in November. This coincided with my vet returning to work, she read his notes and took one look bat him and said MEED.
We then had a long road of core samples from liver, gastric scoping and glucose tests not to mention blood samples. It was a very long road....

Fairynuff

Visit site
So lucky that your own vet came back and was on the ball! I don't suppose it's something that most vets will come across so I can understand them overlooking MEED. Wishing you well and a very uneventful future journey on the MEED road :)