Muscle damage

Cobbychic

Visit site
My boy seems to have dips on his back where the panels of saddle sits. I have had my saddle fitted 3 times in 8 months and yet they are still there and seem worse to me! How can I help my boy and get rid of them?

Shay

Visit site
We bought an ISH with wasted muscle from an ill fitting saddle (although we didn't know what when we bought him!) He recovered after a course of equine physio and targeted exercise - in a saddle that fitted.

Perhaps ask your vet to recommend a local equine physio and see what they say.

Reading back... are you sure this is wasted muscle rather than an indication of age related degeneration? How old is he?

be positive

Visit site
As above just changing the saddle will not be enough to improve things, he requires treatment by a physio and a full rehab plan to get him using the damaged area properly, I have seen remarkable improvements to similar backs but only with a full range of exercise aimed at getting the back working again, it often also means several changes of saddle as the back changes shape.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Are the indentations towards the back of the saddle? My cob looks to have 2 areas of muscle loss here but it's not actually that, it's because he has fat pads on each side which start just beyond where his saddle sits and it makes it look like he has indentations. Sounds nuts I know, but he's been checked by several professionals who all say the same thing. He's out of work and overweight at the moment and they look awful, when he looses weight, they all but disappear along with the fat pads..

Wheels

Visit site
You need a good physio to help you with a rehab programme and a good saddle fitter who can give advice on remedial saddle fitting.

It sounds like the saddle didn't fit so caused the indents, the back is now the same shape as the saddle so the fitter thinks it fits.

You need a saddle fitter who can work with you and physio to work out what shape this horses back should be and who will be able to adjust the flocking and pads as necessary