Muscle tightness

Lmorrow

Visit site
My horse has had a massive tie up ages ago now and has never been completely right. I had the physio out for her twice now and they have mentioned getting her X-rayed to possibly look for kissing spines. These are the two images of her physio report. She’s mentioned muscle spasms a lot too.
I have her booked in again at the end of this month, thermal scanning to be done and next up was X-rays.
would you just go straight down the X-ray road?

I'm Dun

Visit site
Test for PSSM. The type 1 test is cheap and non invasive. and results come back quickly. Type 2 test is a bit trickier and would need looking into and you deciding what is best. But start with the type 1 test and go from there.

SEL

Visit site
My horse has had a massive tie up ages ago now and has never been completely right. I had the physio out for her twice now and they have mentioned getting her X-rayed to possibly look for kissing spines. These are the two images of her physio report. She’s mentioned muscle spasms a lot too.
I have her booked in again at the end of this month, thermal scanning to be done and next up was X-rays.
would you just go straight down the X-ray road?
I wouldn't until I'd ruled PSSM in or out. Too many people with myopathy horses have run up £1000s in vet bills with no conclusions because it isn't tested for until a late stage

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't understand, since you've had a known tie up event, why the vet and physio haven't already suggested PSSM, it's a shoe-in for all the stuff you've had going on. What breeding is the horse?

Bob notacob

Visit site
This whole subject is a grey area of our knowledge . Call it tie up .epsm, pssm ,tie up or cramp. Its all facets of the same thing. There is a genetic link, but also an exercise overload created disposition. Yes vitamin E has been shown to help ,but frankly ,we are in the dark ages on this one. Once a horse (or human) has seriously cramped for whatever reason ,there is a predisposition for it to return(for lesser reasons ). I am glad my horse does not have to live with this (though I do) . Muscle cramp is incredibly painful . As a human I have at least ,the ability to ameliorate the problem . As I type this I have felt impending cramp in my leg muscles and can move to try to ease it before cramp strikes. It tends to be the larger muscle groups , (as in horses) Keeping warm helps . Have tried electrolytes with only mixed success. Possibly taken them too late? I would be seriously concerned about the welfare of a horse that regularly had bouts of tie up .Would love to know the answer to this. There has been some very good research in America on Epsm.