Muscle up supplement question

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with regards to a feeding question. Horse is fed chaff and calm and condition. Due to various physical issues he had lost topline and as part of his rehab plan we popped him on some very expensive muscle building supplement from the vet. This has worked well after two months and he's looking tons better. He has run out of supplement and I feel like it may be beneficial to keep him on it but I'm not sure if that is correct or whether I should be considering a chance in base feed to address protein requirements going forward. He's a rangy ISH 16.3hh horse who doesn't have to work very hard but I really have noticed a significant improvement on the supplement. I'm cautious about supplements as it's very easy to end up spending a fortune without really addressing the root cause.

Is it good to continue the supplement and taper off as we continue to work through his rehab? Which is my current thinking? Should he be ok on the normal feed (he seemed to be previously but now I'm wondering if it was lacking) any thoughts?!

paddy555

Visit site
Many feeds are too low in protein to make up for the low protein levels in hay especially, even some grass. Check out Forageplus articles on protein/amino acids.

this,
I would also consider feeding a normal supplement, vit E oil (check that out as well on the FP site) and feeds with higher protein levels eg Alfalfa pellets (it is doesn't cause a problem) grass nuts, copra etc