Muscles twitching when ridden?

cookster1975

Visit site
YReally hoping someone can help I'll try to keep it as short as poss. I have a 16hh ID x Cob who I bought as a 4 year old (now 7). He's been out of work for a few months (nothing wrong with him, just circumstances) but now bringing him back into work. The problem is when I ride, his shoulders and sides having started quivering just like he's got a fly on him or something's tickling him. He then gets a bit antsy and throws his head around a bit, starts jogging and just getting irritated? I haven't noticed this quiver or twitch at all when he's not tacked up. He's not lethargic, off his food, losing weight or anything else. I clipped him right out as thought he might be getting hot as he had a very thick coat but that hasn't made any difference, checked him for lice etc - nothing?? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? He's not head shaking as such just getting annoyed by it. He's fine to tack up, not girthy or anything.

Last edited:

cookster1975

Visit site
His numnahs and girths have been washed in gentle detergent and been thoroughly rinsed (in case these were irritating him). He has his teeth checked every 6 months and never needed anything other than rasp. Have spoken to vet she's great and will talk things through on the phone, but might book a visit. Having been googling this all night it seems cranial problems can be linked to withers and sacrum so I'm panicking now - good ole Google!

vanrim

Visit site
Google a site called calm healthy horses. There is a lot of info on grazing and what symptoms can happen when the grazing is unbalanced. I remember reading of symptoms very similar to yours. http://www.calmhealthyhorses.com

YReally hoping someone can help I'll try to keep it as short as poss. I have a 16hh ID x Cob who I bought as a 4 year old (now 7). He's been out of work for a few months (nothing wrong with him, just circumstances) but now bringing him back into work. The problem is when I ride, his shoulders and sides having started quivering just like he's got a fly on him or something's tickling him. He then gets a bit antsy and throws his head around a bit, starts jogging and just getting irritated? I haven't noticed this quiver or twitch at all when he's not tacked up. He's not lethargic, off his food, losing weight or anything else. I clipped him right out as thought he might be getting hot as he had a very thick coat but that hasn't made any difference, checked him for lice etc - nothing?? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? He's not head shaking as such just getting annoyed by it. He's fine to tack up, not girthy or anything.

cookster1975

Visit site
Google a site called calm healthy horses. There is a lot of info on grazing and what symptoms can happen when the grazing is unbalanced. I remember reading of symptoms very similar to yours. http://www.calmhealthyhorses.com

Thank you will have a look. Rode with no saddle today and he was no different. Sides start quivering and he turns to bite them. Got off and no quivering? He was actually throwing his head around a bit more with it today. I have never had any problems like this before and can't think of anything that's changed :(

Ali27

Visit site
My mare was very tense last Autumn. She was diagnosed with stomach and hind gut ulcers which she has been treated for. She also doesn't react well to clover (Calm, healthy horses website) and needs a forage balancer with salt to balance grazing. I have also started giving her a mycotoxin binder. She is now back to being pretty relaxed and feels lovely and supple!

cookster1975

Visit site
My mare was very tense last Autumn. She was diagnosed with stomach and hind gut ulcers which she has been treated for. She also doesn't react well to clover (Calm, healthy horses website) and needs a forage balancer with salt to balance grazing. I have also started giving her a mycotoxin binder. She is now back to being pretty relaxed and feels lovely and supple!

That's really interesting, did your mare twitch? I did wonder about ulcers. He had a high worm burden when I had him and has colicked within a few weeks of worming him for tape worm both times, he has had 2 clear egg counts and then latest one was 1000 epg. Wormed with pramox and again had mild colic within couple weeks. His stools are always on the looser side and I've supplemented his feed with mint, fennel and protexin which seems to help. He has no other signs though, he's fine to girth up, loves his food, is a healthy weight and lovely shiny coat? So strange.

Ali27

Visit site
That's really interesting, did your mare twitch? I did wonder about ulcers. He had a high worm burden when I had him and has colicked within a few weeks of worming him for tape worm both times, he has had 2 clear egg counts and then latest one was 1000 epg. Wormed with pramox and again had mild colic within couple weeks. His stools are always on the looser side and I've supplemented his feed with mint, fennel and protexin which seems to help. He has no other signs though, he's fine to girth up, loves his food, is a healthy weight and lovely shiny coat? So strange.
My mare is a very good doer with shiny coat and not a classic ulcer candidate! Ask your vet for the succeed test which costs around £25. You just provide a poo sample and it can test for stomach and hind gut ulcers.

cookster1975

Visit site
I have the vet coming Thursday pm. She was focused on the head shaking but it's not classic head shaking it's more like he's got something on him he wants to get off and only does it when ridden and the twitching starts. He shook his whole body a couple of times Sunday. It's really like he's got something irritating him.

cookster1975

Visit site
My mare is a very good doer with shiny coat and not a classic ulcer candidate! Ask your vet for the succeed test which costs around £25. You just provide a poo sample and it can test for stomach and hind gut ulcers.

Thanks for that, I'll ask the vet about succeed - well worth the money.

Keep us updated. It will be interesting to see what the vet thinks.

I will do

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My thought is ulcers too. Mare at my yard does it when hers flare up and she also turns round to look at her sides or goes as if to bite your leg but doesn't.

cookster1975

Visit site
Just thought I would update you, typically he didn't twitch today while the vet was there! He does it every time I ride but today - nothing!! Anyway she did all sorts of tests, took some tiny hooks off his teeth but nothing noteworthy, examined his back. She thinks his nose looked a bit twitchy and he threw his head around a couple of times so she said he could be very early stages of head shaking, although it's a strange time of year for that to start? She is flummoxed by the side/shoulder twitching and it didn't help she didn't get to see it. So I basically have to monitor, keep a diary of weather, how far I ride, how hot he gets, if there are midges etc around, how soon the twitching starts. She basically thinks it is nerve related and next move woukd be to x Ray neck and make sure he has no lesions there and scope to check for ulcers. She really doesn't think its ulcers though as he has no other signs whatsoever? She said the succeed test will test for hind gut problems rather than stomach (gastric) ulcers but will do one if I want her to. So basically I'm no more enlightened than I was atm.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I was really hoping you had some answers to this as last summer my cob did the same thing but just the once. I tacked him up as normal and he started shaking his head and then his shoulder and bum muscles started to quiver. I git on him and walked him down the lane and it felt like his whole body was quivering. He did settle and hasn't done it since.

TGM

Visit site
Can you keep a video camera handy or use a smartphone to record the twitching when it happens? This might give the vet a better idea of what is going on and whether it is something different from head shaking. Even better if you can record him in different scenarios - loose schooled without any tack, lunged with tack and ridden with tack. In each case in all three paces.

cookster1975

Visit site
Yes that's a good idea, we said the same thing today. He only seems to do it when tacked up but I will try him in lots of different situations. My vet suggested he may not do it so much if he's distracted and concentrating on something else ie schooling, jumping et. CC - it's quite reassuring that your boy did it once but hasn't since.

be positive

Visit site
Have you had a physio look at him, one horse came to my yard that had some nerve damage around the withers, he didn't twitch in the area unless you touched him but he did headshake when ridden although better if thinking about something more exciting than flatwork, the vets had pretty much written him off as a true headshaker, a few treatments from my physio and a new saddle that fitted properly and he stopped completely, it would be a sensible route to take before going for xrays.

cookster1975

Visit site
Jb
Have you had a physio look at him, one horse came to my yard that had some nerve damage around the withers, he didn't twitch in the area unless you touched him but he did headshake when ridden although better if thinking about something more exciting than flatwork, the vets had pretty much written him off as a true headshaker, a few treatments from my physio and a new saddle that fitted properly and he stopped completely, it would be a sensible route to take before going for xrays.

Hi thanks for your reply. I don't think his saddle is the problem as he's doing it bareback too, but you're right about physio. My problem is that I've never found a decent one! my experiences with McTimony (sp), physio etc haven't been very positive. I guess I could ask for recommendations on here?

be positive

Visit site
Jb

Hi thanks for your reply. I don't think his saddle is the problem as he's doing it bareback too, but you're right about physio. My problem is that I've never found a decent one! my experiences with McTimony (sp), physio etc haven't been very positive. I guess I could ask for recommendations on here?

If there is any damage it will still be a problem without the saddle, just touching the area or nearby can set off a reaction as it is involuntary, if you are in Bristol you are not that far from me although my physio will not travel that far she may be able to recommend someone, I know there is someone very good that way but cannot remember the name or ask on the forum as it can be difficult to find one you trust to not come along and go straight to the "misaligned pelvis" that so many seem to find.

cookster1975

Visit site
If you are in Bristol you are not that far from me although my physio will not travel that far she may be able to recommend someone, I know there is someone very good that way but cannot remember the name or ask on the forum as it can be difficult to find one you trust to not come along and go straight to the "misaligned pelvis" that so many seem to find.

Exactly! That old chestnut - physically impossible apparently ��. Thank you - if you could ask that would be great. I want to say I've had Heidi Benson before for my old horse but I'm not 100% sure. The other person I found online was Holly Kerr?

caberston

Visit site
In my experience, the symptoms you describe often indicate a problem in the wither area. The spinous processes can move very slightly out of alignment which causes discomfort when any pressure is applied near the area, ie it would still be a problem if you were riding bareback or lunging in a roller. Get your vet to refer him to a decent physio. Good luck!

Noodlebug

Visit site
My horse keeps headshaking after he has been ridden or has been galloping around the field. Had saddle checked and nothing, doesn't react to being tacked up. Had osteopath in early Feb. and she commented that she jaw was very sore on the right. Had the vet but she is stumped as well said that she falls into the weird and wonderful category! Watched him being lunged and ridden, He then was very uncomfortable in canter - bunny hopping and bucking but fine on lunge. She nerved blocked the P Ligaments and no improvement. He was on a danilon trial which did help as in no headshaking and although but brilliant ridden much more relaxed and will canter. Also no headshaking after but when he does he always twitches by his withers on the left and looks to the left. Unfortunately he didn't do it when she was there either!! But I did video him and she also said not classic headshaking but think he is going into himself!!!. When I watch him eat he seems to only eat on the left side. Vet mentioned ulcers as well but no other symptoms. There was a study done in Copenhagen with TMJ and the symptoms were headshaking, problems in canter, left fore lameness, soreness around the girth area and dental problems with the incisors - all of which he has. My vet doesn't seem to think it is this and he will be referred but the problem is what for and what will they do as they don't seem to listen to what I am observing?? I am also keeping a diary but it isn't a pollen season at the moment and danilon does help so I think it is a reaction to pain. Currently I have been advised to rest him for 2 weeks and he is currently off any anti inflammatory drugs however he has been headshaking this week - almost as soon as we stopped the danilon!!

cookster1975

Visit site
How strange noodlebug, it's so frustrating when you can't put your finger on anything definite. It does sound like your boy is in pain somewhere. Hope you get it sorted soon for him.

Silverfire

Visit site
My horse keeps headshaking after he has been ridden or has been galloping around the field. Had saddle checked and nothing, doesn't react to being tacked up. Had osteopath in early Feb. and she commented that she jaw was very sore on the right. Had the vet but she is stumped as well said that she falls into the weird and wonderful category! Watched him being lunged and ridden, He then was very uncomfortable in canter - bunny hopping and bucking but fine on lunge. She nerved blocked the P Ligaments and no improvement. He was on a danilon trial which did help as in no headshaking and although but brilliant ridden much more relaxed and will canter. Also no headshaking after but when he does he always twitches by his withers on the left and looks to the left. Unfortunately he didn't do it when she was there either!! But I did video him and she also said not classic headshaking but think he is going into himself!!!. When I watch him eat he seems to only eat on the left side. Vet mentioned ulcers as well but no other symptoms. There was a study done in Copenhagen with TMJ and the symptoms were headshaking, problems in canter, left fore lameness, soreness around the girth area and dental problems with the incisors - all of which he has. My vet doesn't seem to think it is this and he will be referred but the problem is what for and what will they do as they don't seem to listen to what I am observing?? I am also keeping a diary but it isn't a pollen season at the moment and danilon does help so I think it is a reaction to pain. Currently I have been advised to rest him for 2 weeks and he is currently off any anti inflammatory drugs however he has been headshaking this week - almost as soon as we stopped the danilon!!

If horse only eats on left side then someone very good checking right teeth, maybe xraying, would be very good idea. I have a horse who only eats on her left side because she can't chew on her right side cheek teeth.

megs22

Visit site
I've been exercising a horse recently that has similar problems to yours, it turns out her rug was too tight across her withers even now after 3 months she still shivers when you touch her withers, even touching a single hair from her mane will cause her to shake her head and shiver, I trimmed her withers and a couple inches of her mane and made sure the saddle pads were always high up in the gullet to stop any contact with this area. Keeping her mane short meant that it didn't get caught by my reins when I rode.

cookster1975

Visit site
Thank you for your reply Megs22. I have a physio coming out next week as he is still shaking his head around a lot (not up and down) just shaking and when he's in the field weird figure 8s with his head. I am paranoid about rugs being too tight on their withers! He's in a premier equine rug which is really roomy and he's hogged. I still think it might be his withers though. Hopefully will have more news next week, thanks again.

cookster1975

Visit site
I just thought I would do a quick update for anyone interested. I had a back lady out today who was really lovely and very knowledgeable. He did have some tightness through where the back of the saddle sits and a few other areas including his ham strings. She watched him move checked his saddle etc then did lots of manipulation and he was lovely and soft afterwards and the difference in his movement trotting him up again afterwards was noticeable. She has left me with some exercises to do with him and advised I get the saddle leveled out a bit but apart from that she was happy. She said nothing she could find would cause the symptoms that are happening. Today he has a swollen and runny right eye and it was obviously very itchy and irritating as he was trying to scratch it on me constantly. We both agreed it could be connected and it was strange but his symptoms today were exacerbated with lots of shaking his head (side to side not up and down) and muscle twitching whilst stood un-tacked which hasn't been happening previously. It really is like something is irritating him, he's not himself at all - irritable and uptight which he really isn't normally. I've rung the vets and they are coming again in the morning (someone different) and I've asked to have bloods done in case it's bacterial/viral and also either a skin scrape or a dectomax injection in case it is mites or similar. His skin is really quite dry and scurfy so once bloods are taken tomorrow I'm going to bath him in dermisol and start giving him apple cider vinegar (advised by back lady) which she said is good for skin and soothing. This is so frustrating - I know something is wrong because my boy is not himself but can't put my finger on it.......