Musing

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've often seen it posted on here that 'people don't have a problem with crossing horse breeds, so why are people so snooty about crossing dog breeds?'

I'd like to turn that on its' head a little - I am just reading a post in the Tack Room about adopting a horse from abroad, most replies are baulking at the idea for the same reasons that people object to rescuing foreign 'street dogs' but it seems to be a much more acceptable, 'seen as altruistic' thing to do, even though there are major concerns about health, ethics, mental impact on the dog, going around importation regulations etc. And who remembers Franch, lol......I don't think anyone disputes that foreign horse rescue can be a bit dodgy, there isn't that same acceptance for foreign dog rescues. Of course, I am sure that reputable outlets exist.

Visit site
I've often seen it posted on here that 'people don't have a problem with crossing horse breeds, so why are people so snooty about crossing dog breeds?'

I'd like to turn that on its' head a little - I am just reading a post in the Tack Room about adopting a horse from abroad, most replies are baulking at the idea for the same reasons that people object to rescuing foreign 'street dogs' but it seems to be a much more acceptable, 'seen as altruistic' thing to do, even though there are major concerns about health, ethics, mental impact on the dog, going around importation regulations etc. And who remembers Franch, lol......I don't think anyone disputes that foreign horse rescue can be a bit dodgy, there isn't that same acceptance for foreign dog rescues. Of course, I am sure that reputable outlets exist.
All the dogs I have ever owned have been cross breeds, all super healthy and my last lab x pointer lived to 16-17 and terrier x lived to nearly 20 🤷‍♀️

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know 2 people who have foreign 'rescues'. One is a very experienced dog owner who took the Spanish(?) Greyhound x Mastiff on when it's first UK home couldn't cope. He has been hard work but after 2 1/2 yrs has settled into being a pleasant dog to have around although needs careful management when out and about, as he is still nervous.
The other is an idiot and I feel very sorry for the dogs which are still not house-trained at 10 months old, having been here for 5 months. I can see this failing, tbh.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
All the dogs I have ever owned have been cross breeds, all super healthy and my last lab x pointer lived to 16-17 and terrier x lived to nearly 20 🤷‍♀️

I certainly don't have an issue with cross breeds. What I do object to is people crossing 2 breeds often with the same breed related health issues, with absolutely no testing, giving them a stupid name and charging equally stupid prices, and trying to pretend they are then a "breed".