Mutual Grooming?

StormyMoments

Visit site
Depends whether they are likely to bite or not... my stallion is very gentle when grooming and is not turned out with another horse so I allow it, my gelding however, bites when grooming so he is not allowed. As long as they are mannerly and know that when I stop, they stop, I am fine with it.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
depends on the horse! my youngster no, as its already a hard enough battle of who's the boss!

but my old girl is 29 now, she can get away with things like this and using me as her person scratching post! but she knows im her boss, I don't mind her having an easier life now :)

Char0901

Visit site
My yearling does this. I allow it because he's very gentle and knows that no teeth are allowed, I bred him so he learnt at a young age any biting was not acceptable.
He does however, groom his field mates a little more 'harshly' and uses his teeth (doesn't bite as such, and I've never seen the other horses object, they just seem to really get into it!)
I think he knows he has to be a bit more gentle with 'mum' :)

Equi

Visit site
I encourage it but i don't let them use teeth. My little gelding came to met with a stallions version of mutal grooming (ie take a chunk) but now just nuzzles and i can feel when he is about to get toothy and i stop scratching. I think it calms them, reassures them and most definitely bonds.

Mike007

Visit site
It is so deeply built into their behavioral patterns that, in my opinion ,to actively discourage it ,is harmful to the mental well being of the animal. Yes ,gently discourage over enthusiastic use of teeth, but the horse has an absolute need to respond to grooming.

Tarte Au Citron

Visit site
I love it when they nuzzle back! But if a horse does nip i push their nose away first time and if they do it again i just stop. My girl rarely grooms me back though. When she does it's for a rather short time and usually on my neck or bum which is always funny :p

She is slightly special though as its not often she grooms other horses back either. Quite a few times she's plonked herself infront of the other horse they start grooming and she within seconds stops and expects the other horse to continue! Cheeky mare :p It's amusing but also slightly sad as it further demonstrates her general lack of social skills.

springtime1331

Visit site
Both my mares groom me back when I scratch their withers. The older one is amazing, she is very gentle and always seems to know which muscles are sore and gives them a good rub. I've had her since she was 2 though so we have an amazing bond. I've had the younger one for a year and she is just starting to groom me back.