Muzzles all round!

daydreamer

Visit site
I bought one of the flexible filly muzzles a couple of weeks ago. I've been tinkering and it is ok at the moment but the headcollar I am using it with is rubbing. I decided to buy a different headcollar and another muzzle so I have 2 to swap between for cleaning/adjustments etc. But apparently everyone has too much grass and those muzzles in medium are sold out everywhere! The spare cable ties are sold out too! Including from Thinline themselves!

Part of my is happy that horse owners everywhere seem to be trying to control their horses' weight but part of me is annoyed that I can't have a spare one to tinker around with at leisure (horse out 24/7 so sewing padding on etc is all done at the side of the field :oops:).

Widgeon

Visit site
Re the cable ties, when I moved mine onto a different headcollar, I just used cable ties from the hardware shop. Other than not being flatlock (which is fine so long as you are careful to snip the ends short and neat and round off the edges with some scissors) I can't see any difference except price! They work fine. I'm confident that in the very unlikely event that my horse did get hung up on something, the ties wouldn't cause him to be trapped - it's a breakaway headcollar and the rubbery plastic of the muzzle itself will tear under sufficient pressure.

I ended up using Waldhausen sheepy pads on mine to stop the rubbing, they do a great job and can be switched on and off for washing. Mine is also out 24/7.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waldhaus...8cm-Protection-Comfort-Lambskin-/142891633705

mustardsmum

Visit site
I gave up with the cable ties - my naughty Connie learnt how to rub his head on the ground to break them open ?? Now use gardeners soft tie (with no wire). It breaks easily under stress. Thread it through the holes a couple of times and then tie. It breaks if needed and it’s much cheaper than the cable ties! Pony hasn’t managed to break out if it yet…. ?

daydreamer

Visit site
I ended up using Waldhausen sheepy pads on mine to stop the rubbing, they do a great job and can be switched on and off for washing. Mine is also out 24/7.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waldhaus...8cm-Protection-Comfort-Lambskin-/142891633705

Thanks, these look good. I have sewn neoprene onto the noseband but it looks like these might be better.

I gave up with the cable ties - my naughty Connie learnt how to rub his head on the ground to break them open ?? Now use gardeners soft tie (with no wire). It breaks easily under stress. Thread it through the holes a couple of times and then tie. It breaks if needed and it’s much cheaper than the cable ties! Pony hasn’t managed to break out if it yet…. ?

That is naughty!! Luckily mine hasn't figured this one out yet. I have made the grazing holes quite big though so he isn't as determined to get it off. I think I have some of that soft tie in the shed so it's good to know I could use that.

daydreamer

Visit site
@mustardsmum is your gardeners soft tie still working? Mine has now discovered how to skim his nose along the ground until he gets enough slack to stand on then he puts his head up and pops all the cable ties :rolleyes: Admittedly they aren't the official cable ties any more but I'm not sure the branded ones will fare much better. Not sure I'm going to be able to find a fix to this one!

Bernster

Visit site
Mine fits well and has stayed on so far this summer. But the boy seems to be too good at eating with it, I’m not sure it’s actually doing much good. He has a big tum ? The grass has been bonkers for so long though, it’s like he’s had spring grass for months.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
@mustardsmum is your gardeners soft tie still working? Mine has now discovered how to skim his nose along the ground until he gets enough slack to stand on then he puts his head up and pops all the cable ties :rolleyes: Admittedly they aren't the official cable ties any more but I'm not sure the branded ones will fare much better. Not sure I'm going to be able to find a fix to this one!

Ohhh that’s naughty! ? my Shetland does that in a normal muzzle but hasn’t managed in his Ff yet!
I think the branded ones are designed to break easier! They have a little hole as a weakening break away spot!

daydreamer

Visit site
Ohhh that’s naughty! ? my Shetland does that in a normal muzzle but hasn’t managed in his Ff yet!
I think the branded ones are designed to break easier! They have a little hole as a weakening break away spot!

Yes sometimes I wish he wasn't quite so intelligent! I think the worst thing was that he did it right in front of me and it was so deliberate! I have also seen him very delicately tuck an ear under a slip rail to pull the headcollar off, at least the fly mask solved that one. Luckily East Anglia has reverted so it's normal very dry, grass not growing, state so I think I may leave it off for the rest of this year and try again next year!