My attempt at an eventer trial - bit of a disaster! Also in N/L.

bex1984

Visit site
Firstly, thank you to everyone who wished me good luck for the eventer trial/ODE thing that me and Murphy attempted yesterday.

Unfortunately, it didn’t go very well.

The dressage was OK, especially considering it is our fifth dressage test ever, and our first ever test on grass. We got 38.5 pens, there were a few 7s on there, so I was pleased with that. We got 38.5, which I think is not bad?
smile.gif

We had walked the course in the morning, and thought it was quite scary but my class was aimed at novices, so we thought they’d take quite a few of the scary things out. I watched them get the course ready for my class and it was SCARY! The jumps were up to height, and probably over in some cases, loads of scary fillers etc. I was having a melt down looking at the course, so went to pop over a xpole in the warm up – and fell off!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
Murphy did a massive cat leap and I went flying. Got back on and jumped it a few more times (he leaped again!) – by this time I just couldn’t stop crying
frown.gif
, and there was no way I could go into the ring, it wouldn’t have been fair on Murphy because I couldn’t have committed to the jumps, so I withdrew
frown.gif

I’m just so annoyed with myself for being so useless and falling off, and just completely losing my nerve. Any half decent rider wouldn’t have fallen off. I am really disappointed that I just couldn’t give it a go. I though I had imagined every possible thing that might go wrong, but all of them at least involved me giving the jumping a go
frown.gif
I know I did the right thing by withdrawing, but I’m still gutted
frown.gif

And I have a big bump on my head and I have to buy a new hat
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Pimms to anyone who made it this far!

Megan_T

Visit site
Don't be so hard on yourself! Just make sure you get back on and jumping as soon as you can (speaking from experience here!) confidence takes years to gain and less than a minute to lose.

Okay, so it was a pretty rubbish day for you. But, use it as a learning experience. Put it behind you and start planning your next event and get working towards it with a big smile on your face
smile.gif

Hullabaloo

Visit site
That's a shame but it sounds like you did the right thing by withdrawing. There's always another day when hopefully you'll feel happier about the course - its hard to be confident with a big bump on your head! And at least you did achieve something with your dressage!

If its any consolation, my horse deposited me in front of a fence at a jumping derby on Sat as he took a dislike to the filler
blush.gif
Luckily that phase was on a sand school so I had a nice soft landing

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Exactly waht Megan_T said, don't be too hard on yourself, a ODE is a lot to "worry" about with stressage and jumping involved! Sounds like your dressage was good, so maybe just some lessons with a good, understanding instructor to help you get your jumping confidence (and Murphy's!) back again.

Remember we do these things for FUN and so they need to be enjoyable, not make you cry. Only do something you want to do! Better to withdraw and know what you need to work on than carry on and have something go badly wrong because you're not 100% committed, so well done for realising that.

Pidgeon

Visit site
don't be so hard on yourself, we all fall off! At least you went there and gave it a go
grin.gif

Tip for you which helped me immensely, shorten your stirrups a hole or two, and practice in walk to start with then up the pace, standing up in your XC position but really concentrate on where your lower leg is, ie on the girth. This will help keep it in place when jumping rather than slipping back so will help you stay in place over a fence especially when he takes a flyer.
It was explained to me on here by several other people and it has helped me tremendously
grin.gif

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Oh hun don't be so hard on yourself (although trust me I know how you feel), it is just such a disappointment when you have tried so hard and looked forward to having a go.....and that's just it at least you went and had a go and you did your first ever test on grass and got a good score. As others have said, get back on and do some jumping to get yours and Murphy's confidence back, and maybe have some jumping lessons - that really helped me.

{{hugs}}

bex1984

Visit site
Thanks guys. I think lessons would be a good plan, unfortunately there's no way I can afford them at the mo....especially not now I've got to buy a new hat!
frown.gif

finefeathers1

Visit site
Poor old you. My daughter, who competes at BE100 did an eventer trial over the winter. Cant say too much or who they are as we are taking legal action against them, but she broke her collar bone and it rocked her confidence badly. Silly girl did actually ride when she was not supposed to (on my rocksolid boy), but when she came back to competing her confidence was shattered. It took Pony Club Senior Camp, a totally fab dressage trainer and even more fab jumping trainer, lots of love and cuddles and support from her friends and family to get it back. She's now out doing BE100 regularily and we are so proud of her.

You did the right thing by withdrawing, but please dont let it colour your judgement. You will do it again, I am sure, just get as much support as you can, and just as importantly, get back on board as quickly as you can.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Don't worry, I fell off the other week over the practice jump at Hunter trial - landed on my face and withdrew after the second jump as I was all over the place. If you dont feel right there is no shame in withdrawing.

4 weeks later I went back to the same course and did a ODE and came 12th - i took my time xc and went a full minute over time, but came home with a double clear.

Get a good trainer who you trust and get your confidence back and you will be fine.

scrumpygus

Visit site
You said any decent rider wouldnt have come off - but Zara Phillips come off into the water at Tattersalls recently and shes a pretty decent rider! Everyone has to fall of now and again! Dust yourself down and try again girl!

OldGit

Visit site
I must have had one of the most embarassing dismounts at Eland Lodge, show jumping. We were going great guns, came around to jump a related (wavy fence to scary pigs) when the comentator annouced "the last time this competitor was here he was carted off in an ambulance. I lost concentration horse stopped I went out the left. Tried to get back in the plate without touching the ground, but ended up dangling virtually upside down. I got 42 time faults as well as a stop and the fall!! Every one cocks up (some of us more than others) but thats half the fun IMO

loopyloop

Visit site
Aaaaw Becky, don't be disheartened!!

You went and you gave it a go, that's what matters!

We all have bad days and I know you and Murphy will crack the jumping thing!!

Come on, look at me and Kharna, I ended up in A&E last year with a suspected fractured spine and then the first time I was feeling confident to take her out jumping she decked me in the warm up! I'm back on and jumping her, granted I still get a tad nervy but you've seen her jump, she looks out for herself and nobody else!

Murphy looks out for you and just think if he's cat leaping the fences he's obviously found his enthusiasm for jumping, there will be no stopping the two of you by the end of summer!!!
grin.gif

Keep your chin up, hope you're not too sore!
crazy.gif