My awesome day with Bob Mayhew! (inc. vids)

haybales

Visit site
Wow! I've really had such a brilliant day. My Uni RC organised 6 of us to go to Bob Mayhews yard today, (for a very small fee) to see him working in his horses and showing us the world of western riding. We were made very welcome with lots of tea (with the option of some whiskey in it!) and he and his wife first showed us a few youngsters.

they were a couple of home bred three year old that had been ridden for about 9months, and in my humble opinion, knocked the socks off your average youngster! they showed us the in hand work they use and how that translates to when it comes to riding. all the horses were off the leg, responsive to the slightest touch, completely working from behind and performing travers, flying changes and rein back.

im not going to try and go into how they train their horses (i wouldnt do it justice) but his training and the way he communicates what they do and how they do it made us all stop and think wow, he's hit the nail on the head! really common sense stuff that makes you wonder why on earth we make life so hard for ourselves! and its all centred on the horse, making the horses life as easy as possible, and only going as far as the horse is pleased with. i was so impressed.

all the horses were calm, happy healthy athletic animals, they also showed us a few of their older stallions, one of which they let one of our girls ride! their champion horse!
shocked.gif
(it was the stunning palomino in the first vid). it was a fascinating insight into a type of riding that hadnt even particularly interested me before, but now i can truly see how that way of thinking and riding can be translated into all types of riding, particularly useful for dressage! oh and of course the western trail riding and sliding stops were very impressive too!

to top it off he showed us some of his foals, showed us round his amazing set up, then took us to the pub! sorry i babbled on abit but it really was a brilliant day!
grin.gif

here are a few vids:

palomino stallion

Bob riding

Sliding Stop

haybales

Visit site
urm no it was the something country hotel?! felt a little bit under dressed in hoodie and boots when the car park was FULL of rolls royces and bentleys! eeekk!

and yes they seemed such genuinely friendly lovely people!
smile.gif