My baby has to go....

moocow

Visit site
I am so gutted. i finally got a good yard sorted for my horse, decided I am totally in love with her and made an offer for her subject to vet.

Yes you guessed it - she failed the vet - not just slightly but so spectactularly that the vet basically only saw her walk into the arena , forward into trot and then stopped the vetting!!!! She isn't lame but apparently has some really strange action in her hocks. I didn't notice it nor did anyone at the event yard that she is at but apparently it was there.

I was devastated last night. i know I have only had her a week on trial but i have totally fallen for her. She is going back to the owners this weekend. With such fail in the vetting it is doubtful she will be able to be sold as a riding horse and will probably end up going for meat.

Gutted!!!

tw1nn1ejo

Visit site
awww hun i'm sorry!! it must be hard as you've totaly fallen in love with her! don't worry though as there will be plenty more horses out there for you!! chin up hun! *hugs*
jo xxx

moocow

Visit site
I wasn't there for the vetting and I am just getting back into riding so its all a bit new for me so excuse the terminology (or lack!!) Bascially they said that when she goes into trot, her hock bows outward for a couple fo steps and the vet felt that although she isn't lame, there is a definate weakness there. She is just backed so hasn't being doing a lot - vet thinks that when I bring her into work and start her jumping it could turn out to be a real problem. vet also felt that her movment was just wrong in the back and that she was very stiff. just basically said, don't touch with a barge pole!!!!

the owner of the yard was lovely, and knew of a horse that was for sale in NI, so we went last night to see him. He is a 3 yr old gelding, not broken yet but has a massive jumb and really good paces. he is a much better quality of horse but he is not my baby. I bought him subject to vetting but don't feel as much about him as I did my girl. I just feel so terrible that i am sending her back and that she will probably become a steak. the owner promised me that she would be really careful about where she goes but i suppose, if she can't be ridden, there is no info on her breeding and has this fault so wont be a broad mare and is only three, meat is what the future holds.

M

madabout2

Poor you. If you really want her you could do what a friend of mine did and offer meat money. Her horse had ring bone - she did have 2 happy years before having to do the "necessary" ( and she then had to cope with the emotions) but he had a good life in between.

moocow

Visit site
I would love to but the fact is, i am student and I can't afford to pay livery for her when I can't do anything with her. I also think that as devastated as I am about this now, I have only had her a week! If I get more attached I think the decision would be really worse. I can't imagine what it would be like if i get to the stage that I can't afford the vet bills and have to make that decision.

If my circumstances where different. I had my own stables and grazing, she wouldn't be going anywhere. i would pay more than just meat money for her if I had the facilities to just keep her as a big lawn mower. Unfortunately I don't. She would make a hack for someone but who is going to want a 16.3hh just backed irish sports horse that could break down at any point for a hack???

I really wish i could just give her a good home but its just not an option.

threeponies

Visit site
If you like her that much, get a second opinion. Vets are not always right, he could just be offering his opinion, where another vet may have had experience of a horse with a similar problem. Good luck with it!

Dovorian

Visit site
Without seeing a horse yourself it is hard but is there no chance that she is just very weak behind, especially as she's not done much. Wishful thinking maybe but a 2nd opinion seems a very good idea and as you are paying try to be there and interrogate!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think your not as happy about this other one as you haven't had time to except the news about your current one. Maybe you should give you self a bit more time.

I think you could seek a second opinion but once a problem that sever has been spotted i would be very wary.

bellasmum

Visit site
Get a second opinion! – I had my horse vetted and was told he had a bog spavin – he never did – got 3 other opinions and all said that the vet was wrong! gone on to be a happy working hunter!

moocow

Visit site
I know vets can make mistakes but who is to say if I get a second oppinion, which vet made a mistake?? - not explaining this very well.

If I get a second oppinion and the new verdict is that she is fine, whose to say that the second oppinion isn't making a mistake and the first prognosis was the correct one. I just can't take the risk.

I know what i have to do and thats let her go and live with the guilt that i have just signed her death warrant.

Puppy

Visit site
I agree with you Moocow.

The second vet is just as likely to get it wrong as the first. Also, if the first vet spotted it that immediately, then its not likely to be something minnor and a subjective "fail" - far more likely to be something mega if he spotted it so instantly and ended the vetting so quickly. To go in search of second or third opinions will only cost you an awful lot more money and no doubt further heartache.

Sorry it didn't work out for you
frown.gif
I guess it just wasn't mean to be. Best of luck in your search for "the one". xxx

moocow

Visit site
Thanks Puppy, I just wish i could keep her as a hack but unfortunately I can't.

I felt terrible having to tell the owner last night. she was great though about it. So many people have offered me different horses for sale even since yesterday and I haven't fallen for any of them.

we will see. thanks for the support and suggestions