My baby was lost to bloat last night

Basset

Visit site
I am still trying to come to terms of losing my 10yr old basset to bloat yesterday evening. My husband rang me at work to say he came home and my baby was laying on the floor with his body swollen, i joked at work saying i bet he has another wasp sting silly dog. So i rang the vet, hubby picked me up and i then saw my boy, stomach very swollen and in complete distress not really knowing even who i was.
I carried him into the vet and she said he was to far gone and we should pts him, it didnt even register with me. But he was put down and i still cant believe it, i blame myself for not being here as if we got him there sooner maybe i could have saved him.
I cant accept yet that he will never arroooo or run mad or even snore!! its just so hard, i feel like my heart has been ripped out.
RIP my beutifull baby, i love you with all my heart. Mummy xxxxx

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
So sorry to hear this, poor Basset.
We have them too and I know of one who died overnight with the same thing and he was only a young dog, not even a gannet like some of them can be.
Treasure your memories of happier times and think of all the times he made you laugh even though you were meant to be cross!

JAK

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear your sad news.

Please don't blame yourself though, gastric torsion/bloat is a cruel affliction that can happen at any time, with a very small window of opportunity for a positive outcome & nobody can be there for 24 hours a day, can they? It could just as easily have happened during the night when you were asleep or something.

Big hugs to you, RIP old man. xxx

EllieBeast

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this. it is so distressing - we lost our much loved Rottie to it last year - she survived the op, but we lost her to peritonitis.
hugs and condolances.
Sarah xXx

polaris

Visit site
My deepest sympathies to you and your family. It is my worst nightmare but please do not blame yourself.It is one of those things that can occur no matter how hard you take precautions to avoid it. Even a gut bacteria imbalance can cause it. A huge hug for you.

piaffe

Visit site
My heart goes out to you, it really does. But, you must not blame yourself (easy to say though isn't it).

I nearly lost my bassett last year when he was about 10 months. He climbed up onto a table and ate his whole tea which was soaking at the time.
I had been out and, when i saw him, it was really strange, his tummy was huge and like a drum but, bless him, his tail still wagged.

I got him to the vet and was told that we had made it just in time, an extra half an hour would have been too late.
frown.gif

Thankfully he was fine but i felt so bad after. I now know what to look for but its still at the back of my mind.

RIP. x

Oneofthepack

Visit site
I lost my beloved lurcher last year and the vet who put him to said 'it doesn't matter how long they live, it's never long enough is it' How true. We all go through the 'if onlys' when we lose a pet but you only torture yourself with these thoughts. Thank god you were able to end his suffering quickly - the last kind thing we can do for a faithful friend