My concerns from previous thread have taken twist for the worst

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Please .... This is no dig at anyone

A couple months ago I posted a thread about a livery who moved her mare onto grass on 27 December 2014 from stable to grass no preparation I and livery.s have been there all the time the mare colic walking and advice over 20 times.

My concerns were the mare was a frequent colic horse and we always caught it early. Our worries were the mare now at grass full time would not be checked frequently. No one would check her late night and through day.

Members said she would be better off out - which is fine for normal horses but not this mare who we knew would colic and not be caught in time.

Well on Facebook this morning I saw message for the owner to get to yard Asap, I posted hope mare ok.

We'll just got reply to say no she had lost her to colic. We thought this would happen but hoped we proved wrong.

RIP. G. So sad lovely mare.

Ladyinred

Visit site
How sad :(

I know someone who lost one to colic under the same circumstances. They HAVE to be checked more frequently, it hits so fast and so hard. RIP mare.

Mike007

Visit site
Not a dig at any one ,so glad you told us ,otherwise I would have confused this post with a particularly spitefull attack on someone

Polos Mum

Visit site
Really sad but sounds like there was something amiss with the mare that would have resulted in this conclusion anyway. It's not normal for a horse to colic 20+ times and eventually even stabled it would have started at midnight and be too late by 6am when first person arrived at the yard.

RIP mare

sasquatch

Visit site
I didn't see the previous post, however I'm very sorry to hear this.

Highlights how important it is to know your horse and how often and important it is to check on them.

SusieT

Visit site
A horse who colics so frequently was always going to be lost to colic very quickly, I'd have been amazed if this hadn't been the outcome stabled or not. Why not mind your own business.

FairyLights

Visit site
a horse is meant to move around almost constantly grazing. Being stabled isnt good for them they need to move for gut motility. Maybe this is why the mare was turned out. TBH I think being stabled was worse for her. Maybe the owners were doing the best for her.

kez81

Visit site
Sounds like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation, turn out to grass horse likely to colic, leave in also likely to colic. Personally I would rather turn out and hope for the best than leave a horse in. Checking any horse regularly whether stabled or at grass is just common sense but sometimes work and life commitments can make it more difficult. I feel for the owner in this situation.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Either option was never going to end well. If the mare was colicking that much being stabled, then it's clear that that wasn't working either. You say it's not a dig, well it sure sounds like one. Poor, poor owner.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Poor, poor horse. I agree that this was likely to happen, stabled or not. Here the horses get seen just as often whether they are in the stable or in the field. In fact, as most of our land is visible from my house, I probably see them more often when they are out. The only check they don't get when out 24/7 is the 10.30 pm one. Very difficult to know what to do for the best really in this situation. There must have been something very wrong inside the horse which was no doubt causing problems and pain for the horse on a pretty much continual basis. Sometimes it can present in such a way as people just put it down to laziness or being super chilled out.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
A horse who colics so frequently was always going to be lost to colic very quickly, I'd have been amazed if this hadn't been the outcome stabled or not. Why not mind your own business.

Why not try not to be so rude????? She was a livery and friend so I have a right to be sad and interested

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Either option was never going to end well. If the mare was colicking that much being stabled, then it's clear that that wasn't working either. You say it's not a dig, well it sure sounds like one. Poor, poor owner.

well your wrong. I was merely saying our feelings were correct which was she was less likely to have people see her colic there when she did out at grass as the fields were way out of sight of the house so no one would see. So the colic would go un noticed - there is no dig at the owner as we know the situation she was in and why she had to move. The owner had no choice but to move onto grass livery

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
Poor mare. Sometimes they just are not right and there is little can be done. If she was constantly colicking it would have only been a matter of time. A friend had a horse who colicked once, then twisted his gut and had it stitched to the inside of him, then colicked again and she just pts cause he was never going to live a normal stress free life.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Really sad but sounds like there was something amiss with the mare that would have resulted in this conclusion anyway. It's not normal for a horse to colic 20+ times and eventually even stabled it would have started at midnight and be too late by 6am when first person arrived at the yard.

RIP mare

Agree. If the poor horse was getting colic that often and no reason could be found (presumably vet had been involved and tried to determine cause) you have to assume there was some serious worm damage, tumour or something going on internally and this was always going to be the end result.

chocolategirl

Visit site

RIP mare
Yes I would agree with this. Colic is my worst nightmare and I think every other owners. Sounds like there was something very wrong here. I was always told stabled horses have more instances of colic than grazing ones. Don't know if that's true? So very sad all the same.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Not a dig at any one ,so glad you told us ,otherwise I would have confused this post with a particularly spitefull attack on someone

Absolutely that, and worse one of your own paying customers who is apparently a friend. I really hope no-one points out this thread to your unfortunate friend.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Absolutely that, and worse one of your own paying customers who is apparently a friend. I really hope no-one points out this thread to your unfortunate friend.

Very unlikely as she is not registered on here. As we have not said anything bad about only that sadly our predictions have come true

Princess16

Visit site
This is what terrifies me not being able to check constantly on your horse, but how can you unless you are fortunate to keep them at home, but we don't all have that luxury. You can't be there for them every hour of every day especially at night.

So sad to read this but from what OP has said given her colic history I don't really think where she was kept would have made much difference unless someone was sat in stable with her 24/7.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Why not try not to be so rude????? She was a livery and friend so I have a right to be sad and interested

Who needs enemies with friends like you?! This thread reads as an "I was right and now look what happened". Poor horse, poor owner, hope she doesn't find this thread.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Who needs enemies with friends like you?! This thread reads as an "I was right and now look what happened". Poor horse, poor owner, hope she doesn't find this thread.

Who needs the Israelis fighting when your here doing their battle???

You always have to add digs to your post don't you as you have nothing nice to say why don't you go to another thread.

Do you need me to simplify things even more for you. Is we thought this would happen and sadly it has the worst news we hoped to hear, now be a good little girl and find another playground.

You have NO clue on this situation from start to finish - we are all sad for this lovely mare and trying to comfort another owner who is prob going to loose their horse your snide little comments are not welcome nor appreciated at this time.

Last edited:

numptynoelle

Visit site
Who needs the Israelis fighting when your here doing their battle???

That comment I've quoted is way out of line!

OP, you should know by now, that if you post on here, you will get a range of comments, whether you agree with them all or not.

Personally, whilst the events have been tragic and you have every right to be sad, if the owner were to see this thread (which they may, being that it's an open forum and HHO threads pop up high on most horse-related google searches), they would more than likely be upset to see it being discussed in any shape or form.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
LThe
That comment I've quoted is way out of line!

OP, you should know by now, that if you post on here, you will get a range of comments, whether you agree with them all or not.

Personally, whilst the events have been tragic and you have every right to be sad, if the owner were to see this thread (which they may, being that it's an open forum and HHO threads pop up high on most horse-related google searches), they would more than likely be upset to see it being discussed in any shape or form.
Maybe it is but so is their comment since they have done this on many of my posts - personal attacks on threads - when they have no clue what this mare and their owner meant to us. Since I spent ma ny an evening walking this mare and helping this mare since her stable was outside my front door so we could keep an eye out. We are all saddened by the facts our thoughts coming true which is all that this thread is. It,s a real tragedy that colic claimed the life of this young mare.

minesadouble

Visit site
I'm another who think the end result was inevitable given the horse's history. I don't think your original post came across as 'spiteful' but it did imply that perhaps this could have been prevented.
FWIW a real catastrophic colic would never be rectified by walking.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
This thread leaves a bad taste in the mouth OP. It does look like you're gloating and your subsequent quotes and comments put you in no better a light.

gloating. ...? Way off the truth. this mare was highly thought of and loved by everyone and maybe it is time for this thread to be locked .

Trouble with this forum to many wanting to see the worst in someone instead of knowing the truth.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm another who think the end result was inevitable given the horse's history. I don't think your original post came across as 'spiteful' but it did imply that perhaps this could have been prevented.
FWIW a real catastrophic colic would never be rectified by walking.
Thank you.

Noone. knows what happened as it was in the early hours.

Now I wish this matter Closed This poor mare has gone. Let. Her Rip now peeps.

Last edited: