My (extremely) Marish Mare

trickishrose

Visit site
I have owned my mare for 6 months now and NEVER in my life have i owned such a difficult horse, she bucks, rears, kicks, bites and is so dominant! BUT I love her and we are creating a beautiful bond (when she feels like it of course). I have recently put her on gold label equikalm to try and "chill" her out a bit and was wondering if anyone else with a marish mare (verging on the edge of being dangerous) has any experience and tips they could share with me as I don't want to give up on her but want to start enjoying her TIA

PorkChop

Visit site
I have never had a mareish mare - thank goodness! - however I know a few people that have put their more awkward mare on Oestress have have seen a good improvement.

Sorry to be boring - however are you sure she isn't in pain anywhere? It's so easy to put this sort of behaviour down to being a mare - I have had a lot of mares, love them and have three at the moment - two chestnuts - so not saying it lightly! If it gets any worse I would also consider having her ovaries checked.

Super that you are loving her, and hope you continue to have fun :)

CrazyEquestrian

Visit site
Hullo yes. Extremely marey mare! She's on Regumate in the winter and global herbs a couple of weeks after winter has ended (although does it really end?) Overall she is much more chilled in the summer and when she's out 24/7. We thought she was just being naughty but found out after a long time she had arthritis. She's now absolutely fine but bucks and threatens to kick still. :)

kassieg

Visit site
my old mare was like this although didn't ever rear

have you scoped for ulcers? I didn't know of ulcers when I had her a long time ago & the vet never suggested it to me for her problems (10 years ago) but her owner had her scoped & found out she had terrible ulcers :( (she was retired at this point & we ended up deciding to PTS as she had a lot of other problems & hadn't had an easy life the poor mare, she was only ever in a stable home with me & her last owner. The person I sold (minimal amount) her to for a companion sold her on to a dealer who then sold her to her last owner who contacted me & we were in contact the full 3 years she had her & even though she did a course of gastro guard she still just wasnt a happy horse :(

not in any way saying you should pts as she had a lot of other issues as well but would def get her scoped if she hasn't been

sydney02

Visit site
Yes! My mare is very marish. She bites, bucks, spins and kicks.
I have her on chasteberry (agnus castus) full time and that's made some difference. Have also just got regumate to try. Being very assertive has helped too, the biting is less frequent, and the kicking is only the first time you touch her back legs when she's in season.
She came to me a few months ago with a very bad back, which is now almost better so I know she's not in pain anymore. She's very girthy which I did think maybe ulcers, but I think she just has a lot of pain memory.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I would suggest getting the vet to look at her! my gelding and a friends mare were both acting very badly and they both ended up having lameness issues, that weren't that obvious but both needed to have their hocks injected and since, they've totally changed their personalities

trickishrose

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input but I have had the vet out 4 times to keep double checking things and had all sorts of tests including ulcers, she is fine and vets have said she is just marish, they never suggested regumate though which i was hoping they would as i can only seem to find it with a prescription, i was just wondering if anyone had any ground work tips to try and prevent her being so bolshy all the time x

uncle max

Visit site
My mare is very similar, also a handfull on the ground, also reared etc (safer on her than on the ground though!), very terratorial and aggressive.My vet did all the checks and said just mareish and just get on with it, she's an entire animal, this is how it is! I found Oestress and Global Herbs Supercalm helpful, and Michael Peace groundwork exercises are brilliant. Consistency, routine and a Michael Peace book in one hand, 18 months down the line she is greatly improved - she's 6 now and is still "a character", but one we can work with, albeit on her terms!

huskydamage

Visit site
No bucking or rearing when ridden but mine has certain areas that can't be touched lol (belly and in front of hind leg) and when in season will constantly try to nip me and kick even if I'm just brushing her bum. I'm always dodging hooves trying to clean that disgusting sticky stuff they squirt off her hind legs. Never great to catch but with pmt likes to chase me out of the field with teeth bared. I have tried oestress and other things in the past but I spend my cash now on supplement for her arthritus.I'm hoping shell have some kind of horse menopause but nothing yet lol Good thing is its not personal she tries to bite dogs, cats and chased a pheasant out the field!

catembi

Visit site
Horse menopause - my old girl was still a hormonal old baggage right to the end & she was 40 when PTS (for other reasons). Still squealy, teasing the geldings, etc. You might have a while to wait!

T x

catembi

Visit site
Horse menopause - my old girl was still a hormonal old baggage right to the end & she was 40 when PTS (for other reasons). Still squealy, teasing the geldings, etc. You might have a while to wait!

T x

ilvpippa

Visit site
I have mine on no mood no. Massive difference in her behaviour!
Having done 6months of box rest with her thinking she's a stallion hah! This stuff has chilled her out- much better than the calmer she was on!