My First Puppy

Polos

Visit site
After years and years of wanting a dog my family were finally in the position to get one. Me and my mum went and saw some puppies on Saturday and bought home the sweetest puppy.

His name is Alfie and he is a 9 week old Maltipoo. He's been very good so far, there was no crying on the first night at all. He is learning slowly not to jump up when people are eating. He is starting to learn his name and is coming to call! The one problem I seem to be having is I can't seem to get him to go to the toilet outside! He's very good in the house and wees and poos on the puppy pads (there has barely been any accidents so far!). He is fed 3 times a day and always goes outside after hes finished. He also goes out every half an hour to see if we can get him to go but he just doesnt want to go outside. I was out 40 minutes with him this afternoon but he still didn't go. I've also tried putting a used puppy pad down outside to see if he will be tempted but its not working. I am currently on crutches recovering from ACL reconstruction so unfortunatley I cant pick him up and take him outside quickly if I see him squatting to go to the toilet. Has anyone got any tips as to how I can tempt him to go to the toilet outside?

As expected I have attached some pictures;

53A30079-9CAC-4839-A4E7-B6F5A312EF62 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/154917091@N04/, on Flickr

2700787D-3B2D-4077-8583-E63400AB60B6 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/154917091@N04/, on Flickr

9D348CD2-A167-48F1-94F0-371E2E31382E by https://www.flickr.com/photos/154917091@N04/, on Flickr

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
He is very cute. Training him to wee and poo inside, as you are doing with puppy pads, IMO makes it twice as difficult to see the need to go out in the cold and wet to do it. Lose the pads!

Equi

Visit site
Very cute. Just keep at what you are doing with out every 30mins...he will get there eventually.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
He is very cute. Training him to wee and poo inside, as you are doing with puppy pads, IMO makes it twice as difficult to see the need to go out in the cold and wet to do it. Lose the pads!

This - I really don't think these puppy pad things are useful at all. Why on earth would it occur to a puppy to go outside when he has already learnt that he goes on the pad and gets praised for it. Ditch the pads and just keep taking him outside at regular intervals as you are

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Agree. If you had the option of an indoor bathroom or one at the bottom of the garden, what would you choose?
I think pads just confuse the issue tbh.

Polos

Visit site
Sorry I was using the pads as that’s what the breeder used and that’s what my dog savvy friend reccomended to me. I might carry on using them for a a bit longer while my mobility is temporarily reduced because I can’t get him out quickly at the moment.

In other news he has just done his first wee outside so lots of praise and a treat and hopefully we can continue as well tomorrow

Moobli

Visit site
Very cute! I am sure he will bring you many years of pleasure. Re: house-training, I agree with the others. No need for puppy pads. Just take pup out at regular intervals and especially after food, play, sleeping. Praise for toileting outside, ignore accidents and make sure you take him out even more regularly. You will get there :)

Polos

Visit site
He’s been going out every 40 minutes today and has been to the toilet every time. He’s not been on the puppy pad at all today, he seems to be holding it until he goes outside which is a step in the right direction.

He’s been getting lots of praise and a treat every time he’s been to the toilet so he’s starting to associate going outside as a nice thing now

Clodagh

Visit site
He’s been going out every 40 minutes today and has been to the toilet every time. He’s not been on the puppy pad at all today, he seems to be holding it until he goes outside which is a step in the right direction.

He’s been getting lots of praise and a treat every time he’s been to the toilet so he’s starting to associate going outside as a nice thing now

Good call, sounds like he is getting it. I know nothing of maltese but poodles are bright little things and quick to learn.

Polos

Visit site
I’ll definitely keep you all updated and of course I’ll post more pictures as he grows!

He definitley is quite bright, he learnt his name in pretty much a day and comes to call. I’ve started looking into puppy classes that we can take him too after he’s had his second vaccinations. It’s all really exciting!

In terms of introducing him to horses and being around them what would be the best way to do this?