My first year showing l/r m&m Questions.........

karsl rowan

Visit site
This season will be our first season showing our reg section b
I've decided to show him as m&m in the lead rein classes.
Ive just started thinking about kitting us both out but I don't really know what's best :/
Should my son and I match? Can we both be in tweed show jackets? Should I wear a skirt, culottes or green/brown trousers???
Our pony is bay, so what colour looks best? If my son is to wear a waist cost what colour? What about ties? Should we wear the same colour ?
I'm sorry for all the questions, I've been googling all night long looking at pictures and its left me so confused! Also, I plan to show the pony inhand I've picked up sone tips on here already tonight ( not showing inhand wearing jods etc) the pony is ten so is if best to show him in his m& m bridle or buy an in hand bridle? if I buy an in hand bridle what bit do I use (he's in a egg but snaffle) do I attach reins to nose band like in the l/r classes or bit?
Also re under saddle- White, brown or leather girth???

Sorry for all the questions xxxx

be positive

Visit site
Something like the Peterborough here www.showstoppersbrowbands.co.uk/leadreinoutfits.htm
this is very smart.

Ties to match, you could wear trousers if you prefer.
For in hand you can use the riding bridle and hold the reins rather than a lead rein.
Brown numnah to match the saddle/pony not white ,leather girth or brown synthetic is acceptable, it should blend in for M&M not stand out as white would.

Visit site
This season will be our first season showing our reg section b
I've decided to show him as m&m in the lead rein classes.

The Lead Rein M&M height limit is 12hh. Local level varies though.

Ive just started thinking about kitting us both out but I don't really know what's best :/

Should my son and I match?

It looks much better if you and your son are more in harmony. You don't need to be identical but not wildly different.

Can we both be in tweed show jackets?

At local level yes, if you plan on doing affiliated showing then I would try to find a more "Ladylike" jacket to wear with a blouse, or one that buttons all the way up to the top. In the past I have worn smart, long Bolero jackets with either a blouse of a cream turtle neck top underneath.

Should I wear a skirt, culottes or green/brown trousers???

Always go for a skirt or culottes. Understated, smart and that come to around mid-calf level. That gives you enough ground clearance not to trip over your outfit and is long enough to be the modest mother.

Our pony is bay, so what colour looks best?

I think a nice green tweed goes well with any colour of pony.

If my son is to wear a waist cost what colour?

Waistcoats aren't compulsory and generally you don't wear them with M&M's or on the Lead Rein.

What about ties? Should we wear the same colour ?

The tie should be neat, smart, stand out from the jacket and shirt but not be too loud. It depends what colour jacket you get as to what colour tie you put with it. If you are going down the route of the Show Jacket on both of you then yes, wear matching ties.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I've been googling all night long looking at pictures and its left me so confused!

Also, I plan to show the pony inhand I've picked up sone tips on here already tonight ( not showing inhand wearing jods etc) the pony is ten so is if best to show him in his m& m bridle or buy an in hand bridle?
if I buy an in hand bridle what bit do I use (he's in a egg but snaffle) do I attach reins to nose band like in the l/r classes or bit?

You don't need to show him in an In-Hand bridle, his normal ridden bridle will be fine but use a leather lead rein rather than riding reins. If you do get an In-Hand bridle then get one of those small plastic straight bar bits to put on it. Lather Lead Rein attached to the bit in general but if said pony is very easy to lead around and do then yes, on the noseband is also acceptable. Always put the lead rein on the noseband for Lead Rein classes.

Also re under saddle- White, brown or leather girth???

If you have a lether girth then use that, if not then a brown synthetic girth to match your ponies colour is much preferable over white anyday.

Sorry for all the questions xxxx

Keep asking questions! It's the only way to learn and no one ever minds answering them :)

Oh! And also always wear a hat! Either a Beagler or a smart hat to match the outfit. And either smart boots or shoes that are comfey and you can run in. Gloves - not white or black. You don't need to have a show cane but if you do want one in the ring then YOU carry it, not the child. Your number also goes on the childs back, not yours.

This is my latest M&M Lead Rein concoction. My hat is in my hand as it kills my head! The jacket does all the way up to my throat at the front so need need for blouses etc.

DSCF0328.jpg