My Friesian Mare

horsesfornow

Visit site
I am worried, my friesian mare has lost a lot of her topline with her hind quarters has lost a lot of muscle at the side of them but not on top.

I had the vet look at her before xmas and she said up the mare feeds which she has two feeds a day, I also has her teeth done too. I have also wormed her again to makesure. My mare has hay 24/7?

My mare is not in work at the moment so I know she shall lose a little topline but its like her is wasting away. I have other horses that aren't in work and they are fine.

I have asked the vet to come and get a blood test done.

Sorry for being a long one!!!

greenlivery

Visit site
Aww I hope she is ok
smile.gif
Good luck with the blood test xx

Cuffey

Visit site
Hoefully the blood test will help solve the mystery
It may be that your hay is low in protein but if your other horses are OK then more likely something specific wrong with your mare.
If you feel your mare is not eating enough--2 to 2.5% of body weight a day then it may be a cracked tooth or mouth not correct in some way--hopefully EDT/vet will sort
You dont say what age your mare is--young and still growing--or older.

Good luck --hope she comes OK

CBFan

Visit site
There could be a number or reasons for her loss of condition. some horses loose condition really easily if suddenly out of work for any reason / stabled longer so she may just be one of them.

Have you wormed her for tape worm? this can be a cause of inability to gain weight. But saying this, you just say it is topline she has lost... is she ribby at all?

What feed is she on? and how much? how old is she? and how big?

horsesfornow

Visit site
My mare is 14 yrs she is in at night and out at day, I have double dose her for the tapeworm but the funny thing is her weight in all other places are fine no ribs and a nice size belly.

However she does play with her month a lot that's why I had her teeth done again but the vet said she is fine but I'm not too sure. She is on Speedi-Beet, topline mix and ALFA-A ORIGINAL.

horsesfornow

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aww I hope she is ok
smile.gif
Good luck with the blood test xx

[/ QUOTE ]

I love your pictures of your friesian.

Thank you all for your help.